Entry Level > D200

thunderkyss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking that as technology improves, we should expect entry level cameras to surpass the capabilities of old technology. With that in mind, which entry level camera surpasses the capabilities of the D200? I pick the D200, because they are in my price range. I'm just a hobbiest & don't care to spend too much money on a tool to pursue my hobby. However, I'm seeing some of the entry & prosumer models coming in the same price range (I'm talking ebay, craigslist, etc...)

I've got a D3000 for Christmas & it's not like I need a better camera. But the fact that there is no focus motor in the body I'm looking for lenses now & I really hate being limited to lenses with the built in servo motors. I find the 3 shots per minute thing a little limiting as well, but so far I'm dealing with it.

But back to my thing. I'm seeing a lot of the other models in my price range, but don't know one from the other. Or what features they have, or at what level the focus motor is incorporated into the body (which is probably my biggest beef now).

Your questions depend entirely on what you plan to do with your camera. If you want to shoot video, any entry level camera is better than the D200.

If you want to use older lenses that require a screw drive body... The D200 is better.

I still use a 5D1 (well, a 5D2 also) from 2006 that manages to rake in great images. But to most people it would be considered outdated and obsolete. It's all about your wants and needs in a camera body.

The current line of entry level dslrs do have better sensors than the d200, but thats not everything. Lenses are more important, and if the d200s af and ais lens compatibility means you can afford pro glass over consumer grade lenses than its the better camera for u.

Just hold a D200 and you'll forget about your D3000. It's built like a tank. Still a great camera!!!

Just hold a D200 and you'll forget about your D3000. It's built like a tank. Still a great camera!!!

I'm not happy with the D3000 as it is, which is why I'm looking for another body after just getting this thing a month ago. I was all set to take ownership of my daughter's D100, but she didn't see the D3000 as an upgrade, which is why it is mine.

Like I said, I've been looking on ebay for a D200, but I've been seeing D90s & D80s similarly priced. The important thing to me, is the pentaprism, in-body autofocus, aperture preview, & the faster continuous shooting (compared to the D3000). I was just wondering if the D90 or D80 would get me what I'm looking for in the D200.

Moot point, I pulled the trigger on the D200 last night.

You shouldn't be upset with a D200.
I've been shooting one for years when shooting a DX.

Low light performance w/o flash is difficult, even with 1.8 or faster glass.

But everything else is great! All the features from my D200 to D3s are pretty much there in the menu... all the buttons are pretty similar, it's a good camera.

So I got my D200 going last night. It came in the mail about a week ago, no batteries. I wasn't expecting that, so I had to buy a battery & charger. They finally came in last night. I was actually starting to appreciate the small size of the D3000 (relatively speaking of course) that the size & weight of the D200 was a bit of a shocker, even though I was well aware of the difference before I decided to buy the D200.

The view finder is exactly what I was hoping for. I can see more of what ends up on film, it's much brighter than the D3000. Wasn't expecting to see that grid thingy, but I'm sure I can find a way to turn it off after skimming through the menu, or a use for it. Navigating the auto focus points on this makes more sense than it does on the D3000 & it's easier for me & my big hands to operate the control pad while I'm looking through the view finder. I can also change the metering settings as well while looking through the view finder. It's an easy reach for my thumb.

The sound of the mirror apparatus lifting & falling back into place isn't as "solid" as that on the D3000. It sounds awkward, unrefined. An annoyance at the moment, may not be a big thing in the future. I'm loving the DoF preview, really missed that from my daughter's D100.

The extra control wheel for controlling the aperture setting is a nice addition. I didn't think much of missing it as the D3000 handles this very well, but.... I like this way better. Not being able to see the ISO value in the LCD is a bit of an issue, but it is there in the view finder & I guess that's all that's really important.

Low light performance w/o flash is difficult, even with 1.8 or faster glass.

This was my biggest concern & after reading this comment, I figured I was going to have to spend more than I wanted to get what I wanted. However, my idea & your idea of low light must be totally different. For me low light is indoors with regular incandescent. I’ve got eight 60 watt bulbs in my ceiling, but my camera still tells me there is insufficient light unless I kick up the ISO. At other homes, I have to do the same & sometimes even have to use the flash.
Flash isn’t a big deal, but I’d rather not have to use it. A lot of the fun I have is taking pictures when people aren’t expecting me to be taking pictures. I feel like I can capture a moment better when people are just being natural.
But anyway, This thing handles low light situations much better than the D3000, which I wasn’t expecting. On the D3000 for my living room, I have to go to 1600 just to get into a usable range. On the D200, ISO 600 gets me close, the exposure meter is not hard right. ISO 800 & I can get the shutter speed above 1/30 & so far, I’m not seeing any noise. The Auto WB gets it right more often than the auto WB of the D3000 as well.

ISO 1600 and the D200 produces some noise/grain/texture in the images, is what I meant.

Example:

7066336871_82b3a4135c_z.jpg

ISO 1600 and the D200 produces some noise/grain/texture in the images, is what I meant.

Example:

7066336871_82b3a4135c_z.jpg

If that's as bad as it gets, I'll be very happy with this camera.

Nice looking mutt, (<---no harm intended) by the way.

My main body is a D90 in which I am pleased with its all around performance. Has all features I fibd important. But we picked up a killer steal on a d200 as a back up and I am loving it. Pretty much for all the same reasons you are. Defiantly like its interface much easier to navigate.

I'm thinking that as technology improves, we should expect entry level cameras to surpass the capabilities of old technology. With that in mind, which entry level camera surpasses the capabilities of the D200? I pick the D200, because they are in my price range. I'm just a hobbiest & don't care to spend too much money on a tool to pursue my hobby. However, I'm seeing some of the entry & prosumer models coming in the same price range (I'm talking ebay, craigslist, etc...)

I've got a D3000 for Christmas & it's not like I need a better camera. But the fact that there is no focus motor in the body I'm looking for lenses now & I really hate being limited to lenses with the built in servo motors. I find the 3 shots per minute thing a little limiting as well, but so far I'm dealing with it.

But back to my thing. I'm seeing a lot of the other models in my price range, but don't know one from the other. Or what features they have, or at what level the focus motor is incorporated into the body (which is probably my biggest beef now).

Three shots per MINUTE?!?! I'd find that a bit limiting too!! :lmao:
I presume you mean 3 fps?

At any rate--I know I'm several days late and more than a dollar short, but: I doubt you'll FIND a newer entry-level camera (Nikon anyway, I don't know about the Canons) that has a built-in focus motor so that you can use the older lenses with it. I suspect you'll love that D200! My son got a D100 recently (from the ever-generous pixmedic) and it is a GREAT camera, old or not.

There are days when I wish cameras restricted people to three frames a day.

...i recently picked up a D200 myself.One of the first things I noticed was the "awkward,unrefined" sound of the shutter actuating.As was stated,works fine,even in burst.I've wondered, tho if this was normal.The only other person I know with a D200 is someone I probably won't see until the season starts.I'm hoping this is normal,and I take some comfort hearing the same description from another owner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back