Entry Level > D200

My son got a D100 recently (from the ever-generous pixmedic) and it is a GREAT camera, old or not.

I got my daughter a D100 a few years back, when she was getting into photography. This past Christmas, I thought I'd get her a "new" camera & not really putting any thought into it just figured the newer camera would be an upgrade. I found this D3000 in my price range & thought it would do. I gave it to her before Christmas, let her get familiar with it & ready to use it by the time we got together with the rest of the family & took pictures.

When Christmas time came around, she said she preferred the D100, so I was left with the D3000 (I ended up getting her jewelry). I thought she was going to like the D3000 better & I could buy the D100 off of her, so I was really looking forward to getting the D100 for myself. So I had the D3000 & an AF lense. Started learning about exposure & figuring the camera out. Manually focusing.

I never got comfortable with the idea of the D3000 being mine.

Now that I've got the D200, I feel good. I'm content, even though I know it's not the latest & the greatest, I'm just so much happier with it. This "photography" thing is only a small interest with me. My other hobbies are way more expensive (so far). I play guitar & have a bunch of guitars & amps. I've got two cars that I'm "building" & learning how to take pictures of them is really all I want to do (along with the capturing the family get togethers & such).

This camera cost me $218 shipped. I've got about $200 in lenses.

Most likely I'll spend some money on some used lenses ($500 or so) for my daughter, & help her build a collection over the next few years. I'll just borrow them :) from time to time.

the controls on the D200 are great. im looking for a used D300s now.
the D200 may be old, but if you keep the ISO at 800 or less its just fine.
good glass and a good flash help keep the need for high ISO to a minimum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back