Equipment and liability insurance

my agent was saying that allot of times they base it off of how much the company makes. so if your business is making more money then your coverage costs could be higher. i could have misheard him though.

Get a quote from Hill and Usher. They are very reasonable and they specialize in working with Photographers.

State farm wouldnt quote me because I dont have a studio.
Their actuarial tables show them that because you don't have a studio, you and your clients are at greater risk of being injured. Part of the issue, both the cost for $1M in liability and no studio/no quote, is where you are - southern California.

The Tom C Pickard company also specializes in photographer insurance and will get back to you pretty quick with an online quote. www.groupinsure.com

State Farm is hit and miss with insuring photographers, according to my agent when I asked him about this it is either an uneducated agent or they are going outside State Farm and getting an Inland Marine policy. I have State Farm for my home and car, there is no way I would tie business insurance in with that for two reasons. 1. keep my business separated from private stuff, it's much simpler when you don't comingle the two 2. file a claim and your homeowners rate can climb dramatically

Does anyone here have TCP insurance? Do you feel the coverage is adequate in regards to liability and equipment coverage?

I have had TCP for over 8 years now. 2 million general liability coverage and I have full photographic equipment (computers and such are covered since I'm no where near the limit in my policy) replacement for what I have listed on my schedule of over 25K. I budget $70 per month for insurance and have a little left over after paying the premiums to put into something else.

I spoke with two state farm agents in my town, both quoted me about 85-100/year for abour $6,000 worth of coverage but one told me to record everything and lump all the little stuff (lens caps, cords, ect) and put it under misc. and put a price on it, even if it only comes to about $100 and the other told me that they would only be interested in the 'bigger' items, cameras, lenses, tripods, ect. It's a little confusing.

Thanks Tony, sounds like good coverage.

spacefuzz said:
Wow I got screwed, one company quoted me $700 for 1 mil in liability for a year.......

State farm wouldnt quote me because I dont have a studio.

Me too :(
I pay about 700 a year for liability and equipment insurance....

Gear doesn't make the photographer! ( but here's my stuff: Nikon d3, d300, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 II, 50 1.4, lots more fun stuff!

Most reactions

Back