Equiptment questions

Ripnowell45

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well I know I should know these answers by now but I dont so I am going to ask them anyway lol.

I need a lens that I can zoom in closer to the subject I have the Nikkor 70-300 But I find myself needing to get closer.. Now this is a really stupid question, why does it seem like some of the 250-300 lenses are so big? Does it make a difference how big the lens is apposed to the mm? Also what do Teleconverters do?

One more stupid question? Why do I see so many people with battery grips on their camera I seem that I can shoot an entire day and my battery is perfectly fine when I am done.. is there an upside to the batter pack?

1. You can use an accessory closeup filter, an extension tube, a teleconverter or buy a lens that focuses more closely.

2. The physical size of lens is usually dependent on the maximum aperture. Fast lenses are bigger than slow ones.

3. Teleconverters magnify the effective focal length of the lens while at the same time reducing the effective aperture and image quality.

4. Battery grips primarily offer extra surfaces to grip the camera. They also have additional batteries and often have an additional shutter release to be used with the camera vertically oriented.

I need a lens that I can zoom in closer to the subject
Do you mean that your subject is so far away that you need a longer lens...or that your subject is so close that you can't focus on it?

The size of the lens is also dependent on the largest f stop. A lens that has an f stop of 2.8 is going to be larger than one of 4.5.

A teleconverter is a small lightweight intermediate optic that will increase the magnification of a lens, while reducing its effective aperture. So a 2X teleconverter turns a 300/2.8 into a 600/5.6. A lot of times new photographers ask me if they can save money by buying a teleconverter and sticking it onto their 28-70 zoom to get a 140mm lens.

With my D200 my battery does not last that long, maybe 400-500 shots on one battery. So to extend the number of shots I can take, I use a battery grip. Also, I feel that the camera is more comfortable in my hands with it on.

If you're shooting digital your 70 - 300mm will in effect be about 480mm in 35mm film terms..... What are you trying to shoot? ...

depends what you are doing, but walking forwards should help a bit (this might involve improving field crafts, or getting some form of disguise).... If you need better than 500mm and can't get close enough, I would like to know what it is you are shooting... If you look at most of the wildlife shots in magazines, even the small timid animals are usually captured on about 400 or 500mm.

Thanks for the info on the converter and grip.

Yes I am shooting digital. I have been shooting Ice boats and they are very far away at times. 200 yards plus. I guess that I am going to have to deal with it not being as close as I would like to be. I am going to invest in some spikes for my boots and take the hike to the middle of the river. They are having a big race this weekend and I wanted to be able to stand on the dock.

Teleconverters work well, however with your lens it wont work all that great. I think yours is a f4-5.6? when you add a teleconverter to 5.6 you are going to loose a few f stops (depending on the teleconverter). It might not allow you a fast enough shutter speed, and may loose your auto focus. You can always check your local camera shop to see if they rent larger lens for the day. And make sure you use a tripod!

As fars as how big the larger lens are. 300mm or 400mm lens, f2.8 or f4 the larger the f stop the bigger the glass is going to be. In simple terms.

Thanks for all of the info guys... I am learning lol

I need to get a good tripod too like snownow said.. I lost the boot for mine and either need a new one of them or a new tripod. I think getting a faster lens right now is completely out of the question being they run like $1600 lol.

I am looking for a battery grip with a shutter release on it but I cant find one does anyone know if they make them?

I have only seen battery grips listed for the D100 and D200, but in reality if the camera feels comfortable to you then the only real reason to buy one would be the extra battery. I bought one because my hands are huge, the D200 is heavy, and I rarely return from a photo excursion without a flat battery, often even cutting trips short.

This things are accessories for a reason, they all depend and the needs of the photographer.

Most reactions

Back