TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Re: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens
Can someone tell me if
When used on an APS-C format camera the
equivalent focal length range is 120-480mm
relates to anything, other than the width of the field of view.

Re: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens
Can someone tell me if
When used on an APS-C format camera the
equivalent focal length range is 120-480mm
relates to anything, other than the width of the field of view.
That's pretty much it. I see you have a good understanding of the "crop factor".

(edit) Since the field of view is affected, photographers tend to compensate by backing away from their subject, which is the only other noticeable difference.

Thanks, Designer. Now I can stop thinking about it, since the only way to change my FOV for any given lens length is to buy a new camera, which will not happen in the near future.

buying a new camera… My idea for the past decade or so has been to buy used cameras one to three generations behind the current model

Thanks, Designer. Now I can stop thinking about it, since the only way to change my FOV for any given lens length is to buy a new camera, which will not happen in the near future.
I would rather buy some additional lenses. In fact, I have done exactly that.

buying a new camera… My idea for the past decade or so has been to buy used cameras one to three generations behind the current model
Aye, now there's a different kettle of fish.

I do have a "full frame" DSLR on my wish list, but I chose that model for its color rendering qualities, not the FOV with any particular lens. It's not happening any time soon for me, either.

Like above I try and buy used when I can the best times are when for me canon insert own brand bring out a new model and everyone wants the latest rush out and change.
Christmas / new year another good time
If you can keep an eye on your local and on line camera shop and see when they get a load in part exchange
Word of warning.
If you see cameras and or lens on display without lens/body/end caps. ESP camera bodies without lens or body cap
Walk away Chances that camera has sat in that window/store collecting dust.
This is just my personal advice, feel free to ignore

The Nikon D600 or D610 is available affordably on the used market, as is the excellent D800.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back