Event Photography HELP!?

I think once you've gotten opinions and suggestions then it's up to you to decide which ideas might work best for you. Hope whatever you decide works out for you.

I am doing it for a measly NZ$100, That's 5 hours, on location, studio style shots of all guests as they arrive with all my gear 2 lights/softboxes and a kick assed backdrop) and then candids throughout the night. I will be editing for hours no doubt.

I'm excited but loosing sleep at the same time. haha She completely understands that I am a beginner and has low expectations. She said she just doesn't want to have to get her mum/family to take the photos on the night and just to enjoy their night, so I guess I'm going to do a good job compared to what some family member with a point and shoot could do!

Thanks for your help everyone. I will update after the event in September. :)

Tonight is the night!... If the photos aren't AWFUL I'll post some tomorrow. :)

I wish I lived closer.. I would come help! ;) Sounds like fun!

Dragging the shutter helps a ton to keep the background from being black. You have to be careful to watch your ambient light, though. If there's too much you'll see a lot more ghosting. I don't have any ghosted examples, but...

Wedding%20-%20Joann%20and%20Dominic%20-%20647.jpg

Wedding%20-%20Rachelle%20and%20Steven%20-%200565.jpg

Boxborough%20One%20Room%20Schoolhouse%202010%20-%20287.jpg

Interestingly that last one may have been the most challenging. One room school house. Small windows, VERY bright outside, pretty dark inside. Note the window and the detail you can still see. Note how you can see the kids in the background quite well. etc. Tough shot. Dragging the shutter made it happen.

Awesome shots bunny man.

You guys are miles more advanced than me when it comes to shooting events. I did my studio set up as a photo booth in a room and that part of it went down great! (apart from the backgroud which she had set up which looked GLORIOUS in real life but photographed like SH!T!! lol... Shooting in the very cramped, pitch black pop up tents to get candids, not so much fun. (not posting them haha) It was so dark that my camera, at times refused to focus haha People were sitting in darkness, not ideal. Anyway I have learnt that it's not really my thing and If I did it again I would charge A LOT more, even just for the studio set up and 5 hours of my time, after hours of course. :) It was a learning experience though and I will give it another go when family event pop up but for now I am sticking to my known genre and mastering that. :) Thank you so much for all of your help, I will refer back to this thread If I ever do it again. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back