Event Photography... Never done that before!

Anthony Fawkes LTD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been asked to shoot a Birthday for a politician. I don't shoot events, never done it before as I am a commercial, fashion and beauty photographer. Any advice? I can't take a whole range of kit as I will be in a dinner jackets, just one camera and lens is what I am allowed to bring. I was thinking of an 85mm.

your photos will have boring angles all the time. Bring 2 lenses and a flash.

I wish I could, I have been told to be discreet, that's why I have to look like a guest and I can't use a flash... What about a 70-200?

I use my 24-105 for all events that are held in well lit rooms or outside during the day. Actually thats the only lens I use. It is a great all around lens. I want to get a 24-70 2.8 for darker rooms and night shoots.

Other than equipment wise, any ideas or advice? Obviously I should shoot the politician while he makes his speech and all that but as the shooter, do I have more access than other people? Like when everyone is eating and sitting, can I just stand up, go around and shoot, shoot shoot?

its depending on your tasks. When I do events I do a lot of staged group shots but I also do a lot of candids. 70-200 will come in handy if you work in a big room (yours sound like it). When you want to photograph someone, dont just snap the pics. Put them on your crosshair for a few seconds and wait for the perfect moment (when the person cracks a smile or do something interesting). Good luck!

Great advice! Group shots will be difficult though, there will mostly be politicians, celebrities etc... I doubt I can get them to pose... Especially since journalists will not be allowed in, which is why I was asked to be discreet.

It sounds like you have much to discuss with the person that hired you. You'll need to discuss what kind of shots are expected, including whether group shots are expected, and how the expectations may not fit well with being "descreet".

There is a difference between being discreet and being invisible. In this case I think that discreet means being polite and unobtrusive as possible. You don't want to be standing in front of some VIP in order to get the shot, but standing up and walking around is probably fine. As Bitter said, many of these are questions best posed to the person who hired you.

The other question I have is, what is the intended use of these photos? I assume that it is for publicity in some form - both for the politician and his guests. In that case, taking pictures is only part of the package, you'll likely want/need to be able to identify the guests. The most relevant example I can think of off the top of my head is that, quite often on the main page, Boston.com has a photo section in which their photographer posts pictures of party guests at events along the lines of what you'll be shooting (of course there's no link for me to copy right now). These are posed, small group shots, and he identifies each person in them ("Joe Schmo and Jane Doe, both of SomeTown, MA"). It's an ego stroke for the guests (i.e., potential campaign contributors). Since this is, I assume, a private event there may be someone in the politician's camp who can identify all the guests, otherwise it might be up to you to collect this info as you shoot them. Again, it goes back to clarifying what the expectations are from the client's side.

To accomplish what Studio7Four mentions as far as identifying party guests, the politician should assign an aide to be a 'wrangler' and not only help you with that task but to round up and make sure everyone important to the politician gets photographed with the right people.

Well basically he just wants a book with pictures to commemorate his birthday since it's his 50th. The use will be non commercial and I am told he will give copies to perhaps 50 people out of the 300 in attendance. There will not be group shots, in his own words he wants to see 'people having fun and enjoying the party'. I also have a list of people that he wants shot, some of which I don't know at all but I'll find out, some that are well known celebrities and even one person who is royalty... I am very nervous. I would turn down a job like that under normal circumstances but the said politician was a friend of my father and according to him I am the best photographer he knows. He offered to pay me quite generously but I explained to him that this wasn't my field but that I would be glad to try. He agreed that he would pay my expenses. I'll be flying down first class next Monday.

In this situation, I'd use a longer lens stand back and shoot, don't set up photos, but be prepared for this to happen, being told that you can only have one camera isn't acceptable, you need a wide as well as something longer, what if you have a camera problem and no backup. If they want this done right then it should be treated correctly, regardless of the situation, you are the photographer, act like you know what you are doing, it's your reputation that is on the line, be respectful, but make sure they understand that you are the photographer, you have to be in control, that's why you are there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back