Ever just want to move somewhere else?

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This town is pretty boring, lol.

Sometimes I just want to pack up and move. This is actually the longest I've ever lived in one place, like - in my life (I'm 30), lol. (5 years)

Usually, I've had to move because I had a ****ty job and there was a better job somewhere else. Now, it's pretty much the opposite - I have a good job but live in a ****ty town. :lol:

Being an aircraft mechanic, I can go almost anywhere (most jobs are in the south though) - but I would most definitely have to take a pay cut... If I were fired or something, I would take what I could find - but leaving by choice, it would be hard to consider anything that didn't start with at least $30/hr... And those jobs are pretty rare outside of airlines. (Which I'd rather avoid, for various reasons. #1 being that I don't have my A&P. I know I should have gotten that years ago ... but that's another discussion.)

I would like to move back to Ohio, but there is very little aviation there... Wright Patterson AFB would be my best chance of finding a good job there. There are jobs everywhere, but none of them would match what I make now. I had a dream the other night that I moved to Chicago, lol.

So far, the short list is Delaware (Wilmington area), Florida (Miami area), or California (LA area). I think Delaware would come the closest to matching my pay, but of the three is the only one where I have no family. It's not far from Ohio though, where most of my family is. I imagine the cost of living is also pretty high in Miami and LA, lol. I had a very good job in Wilmington once, and I'm sure they would take me back without even thinking about it. I liked living there too. Sometimes I wonder why I left...

If I moved to California, I would have to sell some guns first... The thought of that doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would though... What does bother me is that pretty much anywhere I went would make me shave and take my earrings out. :lmao:

There are other places I'd like to go too (Charleston, Savannah, etc...), but it would require a pretty drastic pay cut... I hate this - being stuck somewhere because of money. The good money is overseas... But, I'm not taking my family to a war-zone (which is where the good money is - civilian contractors in war-zones - I don't think I could take them anyway, even if I wanted to).

I have a solid resume, so any interviews would pretty much just be negotiating pay. I also think that I'm not a very good negotiator... I've always just agreed to whatever they first offered (which was generally good, considering my experience at the time).

Two things I miss and haven't really seen since I came down here - snow and hills. And the color green, lol. I know money isn't everything, but I'm finding it very hard to justify a $5-10/hr pay cut... Especially when you consider that the cost of living will most likely be higher where ever I go.

Just thinking out loud here... I don't know if this is normal for most people, or if it's just an aviation thing (if you don't know any aircraft mechanics - we tend to move around a lot. Sometimes by choice, sometimes by necessity.). Like a buddy of mine used to say - my feet are itching.

You won't see much green or snow here, but you can drive to it easily enough. Then when you're bored of that, you can drive to the beach... on the same day. :D

I know how you feel, I've lived in Toronto for the past 20 years and have visited every single place for photography (except the ghetto) and now I have nothing to do except to redo shots that I've taken years ago. I just got back from Hong Kong and Thailand and I would LOVE to live in Hong Kong! The photographic opportunities are endless. Hong Kong would last me a good 30 years + to cover.

It's not so much photography (but it is that too) - more just that it seems like the only thing keeping this town alive is the place I work for. It's the largest employer in the county, and the only real reason people move here. The city is doing their best to run them out of town though. Trying to charge them taxes for land they don't own, and crap like that. I probably shouldn't say where I work, but it wouldn't be hard for anyone to figure out... (If you do google it, please don't post it here... Just for the off chance that it get's back to the company. Just posting this thread probably violates some corporate policy we have, lol.)

It's like they assume that they will never leave, so they think they can get away with anything. Well, they will leave, if they have to. You can build a hangar and runway anywhere... Most likely, if they did leave, they would just transfer our operations to another facility that they already own, somewhere else (and if that happened, I'm sure I would be able to transfer there). I could just transfer to another facility - the company has loads of them, all over the country. I bet there's one in every state. I don't think my pay would transfer with me though, lol. We're Union here, and none (or very few at least) of the other facilities are, so our pay tends to be higher.

LA sounds pretty nice, but from what I've seen - housing costs will be at least double what I pay now... If the pay is there, I guess that's a moot point - but I'm not sure if the pay will be there, lol. Aviation is kinda weird - pay rates are pretty consistent across the country regardless of cost of living.
All of the big employers know that aircraft mechanics will just move anywhere on a whim, so they all pay about the same... Doesn't make much sense to me. :lol:

I vote for Delaware. =)

I vote for Delaware. =)
I knew you would. ;)

It's definitely the easiest place for me to move - I already know a lot of people there, I have good job contacts, I know the area, etc.... It would literally only take a phone call and then I could be off to Home Depot to buy boxes for packing... The only thing I don't like there are the schools. I never went to school there, but I knew a ton of people that did. I'll just say that it was one of the most backwards places I've ever lived as far as that goes. Delaware is almost like it's own little world, shut off from everything else. I swear, moving there was like going back in time 10 years, lol. I can't even describe it...

It was cool though, but I don't know if I'd want my kids to grow up there. :lol:

I could work in DE but live in PA, MD or NJ - that's probably what I would do if I went back there.

I do miss the brewpubs there. I used to go to Stewart's in Newark like every day, lol. I ****ING loved their stout. I can't remember if it was the Highlander Stout or the Oyster Stout (there were two different bars with two different (but awesome) stouts). I think Stewart's had the Highlander Stout...

It was SOOOOO creamy and smooth, and made Guinness taste watered down (a lot).

Ever think of the Seattle area? Plenty of aviation work here in the land of airplanes.

Family is the most important!! Figure out a way to get back home....=):hug::

It's not just an aviation thing, I see the same itchy feet happening with the engineers I work with too.

Are you completely tied to aviation by choice? I'm guessing that your skills are extremely transferrable to other related fields, maybe that's something to look into? My thinking behind that is based on the fact that you are still young, and I don't know many people who have remained in the same industry (nevermind the same geographic location) for the long term.

And apologies for the minor derail, but,

I know how you feel, I've lived in Toronto for the past 20 years and have visited every single place for photography (except the ghetto) and now I have nothing to do except to redo shots that I've taken years ago. I just got back from Hong Kong and Thailand and I would LOVE to live in Hong Kong! The photographic opportunities are endless. Hong Kong would last me a good 30 years + to cover.

Dorksterr - what ghetto?

Ever think of the Seattle area? Plenty of aviation work here in the land of airplanes.
Actually, I have. I've even had a few Boeing reps offer me jobs before... The only reason I haven't jumped on it is that it's so far away from any of my family. It's pretty much the farthest I could get from any relatives inside the CONUS, lol. Sometimes I wonder if that could be a good thing though.

It's definitely a consideration - maybe even the best one, as far as the money goes. I just haven't decided if the pros out-weigh the cons. (The only real con being so far away from everyone I know.)

Are you completely tied to aviation by choice? I'm guessing that your skills are extremely transferrable to other related fields, maybe that's something to look into?
No, and that's part of the reason I still don't have my A&P (Airframe & Power-plant license - pretty much required for employment with an airline. Basically, if you have that, the FAA gives you a lot of authority. You can release an airplane and declare it airworthy, and stuff like that.). I'm sure my skills are easily transferable to pretty much any manufacturing field - what scares me is the thought of 'starting over', lol. I do also have a sizable investment (around $10k if I had to guess...?) in tools, most of which are only good for aviation related type of stuff - fabbing, drilling, riveting, etc... Not the kind of tools you would use on a car (for example).

Last edited:

Dorksterr - what ghetto?[/QUOTE]

I live at Sherbourn. Jsut a few minutes from me at Jarvis and Gerrard, man have you ever been there? Every corner has at lease 3-8 homeless person, a person in a hoodie standing beside a garbage bin... I just don't feel comfortable walking along that street.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back