Ever just want to move somewhere else?

If you do happen to go the Boeing route do it in Charleston, SC and avoid having to send your money to an evil union boss and Joe Biden every payday
bigthumb.gif

I was going to move to London if I was turned down for my new job. No particular reason except to get way the hell out of my comfort zone.

If you do happen to go the Boeing route do it in Charleston, SC and avoid having to send your money to an evil union boss and Joe Biden every payday
bigthumb.gif
I almost went there 3 years ago, but the $14/hr MANDATORY starting pay (they had some kind of deal with the South Carolina labor board) killed that deal. I would have went there for a $5 pay cut. Not a 50% pay cut though...

If they could match my pay (or even come close), I would start packing right now. Seriously. I even called people and told them I was going to be moving soon - until I found out there was no way around the bull**** deal they had with the labor board.

About unions - Yeah, I always hated that part of my dues support people I would never vote for. BUT, just a few observations over 12 or 13 years working for union and non-union shops (about an even split, as far as the years go) - in EVERY union shop I worked in, there was higher pay and more days off. Shorter breaks though (whatever was legally required by the state), but that's a small price to pay.

Union Shop - 2 weeks off for Christmas, good wages, overtime actually pays, lots of vacation time, pension... Non-Union Shop - ONE DAY off for Christmas, no double time (ever), not much vacation time, low pay.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION, that has been the case for me...

Some companies do not need a union and are better off without one. Other companies cannot be trusted and need a union. I generally do not think we should need unions these days, but the bull**** Corporate America uses to try to **** over it's workforce makes it necessary in a few cases.

I take it that you have never worked somewhere that really needed a union. That's good. Sadly, their are still a lot of companies that can't be trusted to do the right thing on their own.

I was going to move to London if I was turned down for my new job. No particular reason except to get way the hell out of my comfort zone.
That sounds like something I would have done when I was single.

Are you completely tied to aviation by choice? I'm guessing that your skills are extremely transferrable to other related fields, maybe that's something to look into?
No, and that's part of the reason I still don't have my A&P (Airframe & Power-plant license - pretty much required for employment with an airline. Basically, if you have that, the FAA gives you a lot of authority. You can release an airplane and declare it airworthy, and stuff like that.). I'm sure my skills are easily transferable to pretty much any manufacturing field - what scares me is the thought of 'starting over', lol. I do also have a sizable investment (around $10k if I had to guess...?) in tools, most of which are only good for aviation related type of stuff - fabbing, drilling, riveting, etc... Not the kind of tools you would use on a car (for example).

Oh, I don't mean cars at all, there's so much else out there that you could do, I expect. Now I have to ask, why are you worried about starting over in a different industry (assuming you can do so with the same skills of course), but you are OK with moving across the country & back? Not that I'm saying you shouldn't move, I just think that moving geographically and/or industry-wise could work for you.

Ahhhh....to be young again and not be tied down...lol Josh, if you can up and move you should feel liberated. Most of us are some what trapped in our current spots. =)

I know how you feel, I've lived in Toronto for the past 20 years and have visited every single place for photography (except the ghetto) and now I have nothing to do except to redo shots that I've taken years ago. I just got back from Hong Kong and Thailand and I would LOVE to live in Hong Kong! The photographic opportunities are endless. Hong Kong would last me a good 30 years + to cover.

Dorksterr - what ghetto?

I live at Sherbourn. Jsut a few minutes from me at Jarvis and Gerrard, man have you ever been there? Every corner has at lease 3-8 homeless person, a person in a hoodie standing beside a garbage bin... I just don't feel comfortable walking along that street.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy. Jarvis & Gerrard is not "ghetto", and yes I've spent a fair amount of time there and still do.
Hoodies do not indicate homeless, btw.

I would like to move back to Ohio, but there is very little aviation there...

Kind of ironic really... it being the "birthplace of aviation" and all... :p

I'd take the Boeing offers... go out to Seattle; You'd get your snow at the very least, and your hills would be mountains :p :) Sounds perfect based on your list of necessary qualifications~!

Are you completely tied to aviation by choice? I'm guessing that your skills are extremely transferrable to other related fields, maybe that's something to look into?
No, and that's part of the reason I still don't have my A&P (Airframe & Power-plant license - pretty much required for employment with an airline. Basically, if you have that, the FAA gives you a lot of authority. You can release an airplane and declare it airworthy, and stuff like that.). I'm sure my skills are easily transferable to pretty much any manufacturing field - what scares me is the thought of 'starting over', lol. I do also have a sizable investment (around $10k if I had to guess...?) in tools, most of which are only good for aviation related type of stuff - fabbing, drilling, riveting, etc... Not the kind of tools you would use on a car (for example).

Oh, I don't mean cars at all, there's so much else out there that you could do, I expect. Now I have to ask, why are you worried about starting over in a different industry (assuming you can do so with the same skills of course), but you are OK with moving across the country & back? Not that I'm saying you shouldn't move, I just think that moving geographically and/or industry-wise could work for you.

If I move, but stay in the same field - I'm a pro. If I switch fields (whether I move or not), I'm a "noob" again - even if the subject matter comes naturally to me. I would still have to start at the bottom (again) and work my way up.

Right now, I can start at the top, anywhere I want - if I stay in aviation. In anything else, they'll look at my resume and say - 'you've never done this before'.

I would like to move back to Ohio, but there is very little aviation there...

Kind of ironic really... it being the "birthplace of aviation" and all... :p
I KNOW!

:lol:

I mean, WTF? NetJets is based in Columbus - and I worked on a ****load of their planes ... in Delaware. To get a job with them in Ohio, I would have to be a flight attendant or something, lol.

Delaware.....just sayin lol

I KNOW!

:lol:

I mean, WTF? NetJets is based in Columbus - and I worked on a ****load of their planes ... in Delaware. To get a job with them in Ohio, I would have to be a flight attendant or something, lol.

Hmmm... I think that would probably make you the most over qualified flight attendant ever :p

That definitely seems rather counter productive really :p Basing your business in one state and your physical "product" (for lack of a better word...) in a completely different one :p

Ahhhh....to be young again and not be tied down...lol Josh, if you can up and move you should feel liberated. Most of us are some what trapped in our current spots. =)
Maybe it is an aviation thing, lol. In my entire life (my Dad is also an aircraft mechanic), I have never felt tied down to a place. We always just went where ever the money was... Right now, I am where the money is, but it's just so boring, lol.

I guess I have a pretty weak connection with my family from being away from them for so long. Being out there on my own is just 'normal' for me... I think I just can't decide if that's good or bad. Do I want to be near family, or not? I really rarely see my family... Only a handful would even recognize me on the street. Probably just my parents.

That definitely seems rather counter productive really :p Basing your business in one state and your physical "product" (for lack of a better word...) in a completely different one :p
Well, it's just because they don't do their own maintenance (and that's common, even on major airlines) - they don't employ 'mechanics'. They just send the planes somewhere else to be worked on, while they only focus on booking flights.

(Airlines do have mechanics, and they do work on their own planes - but they don't have enough to cover the whole fleet, so they farm a lot of it out.)

This is obviously something I know very little about, but maybe try a city with a major UPS hub, like Louisville. I used to know several UPS mechanics, I'm fairly sure they are union and I'm relatively certain they pay well. We have plenty of green, plenty of hills and plenty of bourbon. Less than 2 hours to the Ohio state line too.

Most reactions

Back