Ever just want to move somewhere else?

I had lived in 5 different countries by the time I left my parents and went to a 6th one. Then a bunch more in the next 12 years. And it was kinda hard staying put for close to 25 years in the DC area, lol. And then I started moving again, 3 different areas in the last 8 years, with one more coming up. As soon as I figure out where :)

I was going to move to London if I was turned down for my new job. No particular reason except to get way the hell out of my comfort zone.

One thing to remember if you (or anyone else from the US) seriously considers/decides to move overseas: US citizens are double taxed!

Yep, as a US citizens living abroad you still need to pay income tax to the feds... :thumbdown:

I dont think I would ever move out of the Northeast region I enjoy the fall too much. If I had a choice it would be either Connecticut, DC, or Northern Virginia.

O|||||||O said:
I KNOW!

:lol:

I mean, WTF? NetJets is based in Columbus - and I worked on a ****load of their planes ... in Delaware. To get a job with them in Ohio, I would have to be a flight attendant or something, lol.

Lol at least you have all the free travel and an almost an endless amount of places for possible photo shoots.

DorkSterr said:
Dorksterr - what ghetto?

I live at Sherbourn. Jsut a few minutes from me at Jarvis and Gerrard, man have you ever been there? Every corner has at lease 3-8 homeless person, a person in a hoodie standing beside a garbage bin... I just don't feel comfortable walking along that street.[/QUOTE]

Probably some good urban shots with 2-3 people to help you :)

Yes, I wanted to move away on several occasions .. and i did ;)

Been living in several towns and cities in Germany, and also in the UK, and very short term also in Sweden.

Right now I could imagine moving to Scandinavia, but no idea if that will become reality mid-term or if at all ;)

I know how you feel, I've lived in Toronto for the past 20 years and have visited every single place for photography (except the ghetto) and now I have nothing to do except to redo shots that I've taken years ago. I just got back from Hong Kong and Thailand and I would LOVE to live in Hong Kong! The photographic opportunities are endless. Hong Kong would last me a good 30 years + to cover.

Dorksterr - what ghetto?

I live at Sherbourn. Jsut a few minutes from me at Jarvis and Gerrard, man have you ever been there? Every corner has at lease 3-8 homeless person, a person in a hoodie standing beside a garbage bin... I just don't feel comfortable walking along that street.

Oh boy. Jarvis & Gerrard is not "ghetto", and yes I've spent a fair amount of time there and still do.
Hoodies do not indicate homeless, btw.[/QUOTE]

Walk through Stockton California in the wrong colors, wait, actually don't do that.

Homeless doesn't equate ghetto to me.

jake337 said:
Oh boy. Jarvis & Gerrard is not "ghetto", and yes I've spent a fair amount of time there and still do.
Hoodies do not indicate homeless, btw.

Walk through Stockton California in the wrong colors, wait, actually don't do that.

Homeless doesn't equate ghetto to me.[/QUOTE]

Just means the city has more personality than merry ol' burb town lol

San Antonio is a good town with lots to do. We have an several military bases here as well..so there could be a lot of opportunity for an aviation mech.

This is obviously something I know very little about, but maybe try a city with a major UPS hub, like Louisville. I used to know several UPS mechanics, I'm fairly sure they are union and I'm relatively certain they pay well. We have plenty of green, plenty of hills and plenty of bourbon. Less than 2 hours to the Ohio state line too.
That's a good idea - I've worked a lot of UPS aircraft (but never for UPS), and they were always the best line to be on. I've also heard from a lot of people that they are awesome to work for. Only thing I'm not sure about is if they require an A&P or not...

San Antonio is a good town with lots to do. We have an several military bases here as well..so there could be a lot of opportunity for an aviation mech.
If I could find something on base that could be pretty good. Places like San Antonio Aerospace (I guess it's called ST Aerospace San Antonio now...) don't pay much though. I mean, they would offer me half of what I make now. I work with a bunch of people that moved here from there, lol. They can get away with that because they know there will be hundreds of kids fresh out of A&P school applying there every year. With no experience, any job is good to them.

I'll have to look into what's going on at the bases. :thumbup:

Also need to take into consideration cost of living vs pay.

I lived just outside of Boston MA area for my whole childhood up until I was 25. Then I got a new job and moved to the bay area in Cali. I make more money here but the cost of living is also equally higher.

So might want to check craigslist of rental prices in the area you want to look at. See how they compare to what is in your area to try and guess the cost of living difference.

I lived just outside of Boston MA area for my whole childhood up until I was 25. Then I got a new job and moved to the bay area in Cali. I make more money here but the cost of living is also equally higher.

So might want to check craigslist of rental prices in the area you want to look at. See how they compare to what is in your area to try and guess the cost of living difference.
See, that's what's kind messed up about my industry - the pay is pretty consistent across the country. Except for some companies that have pretty low pay. They've just made the decision that a lot of inexperienced workers is better than fewer experienced ones... And for the type of work they do, they don't really need a lot of highly skilled workers... It's mostly pretty easy stuff - common repair stuff.

Basically, I'll make the same amount of money no matter where I live, unless I get into another line of work... It works out good in places with a low cost of living (like here), but I would be pretty broke somewhere where the rent is triple what I pay now.
I think somewhere like southern California would realistically be out of question, just for that reason... That's the reason most of the aviation work is in the south. Texas, Alabama, Florida, North & South Carolina, Georgia all have a ton of aviation jobs, and are all pretty cheap to live in.

Anywhere there's an airport is obviously going to have some kind of aviation work, but not necessarily the kind of work I do...

I think we just need to get out of this town, lol - not necessarily Texas. San Antonio is a cool city - I'll look around some more and see what I can find there. After a quick search STA is hiring (they always are), but they don't pay any good, lol.

And I'll have to look at what my current employer has going on at other facilities - a transfer would be pretty easy. And we have facilities all over the place, lol.

See, that's what's kind messed up about my industry - the pay is pretty consistent across the country. Except for some companies that have pretty low pay. They've just made the decision that a lot of inexperienced workers is better than fewer experienced ones... And for the type of work they do, they don't really need a lot of highly skilled workers... It's mostly pretty easy stuff - common repair stuff.

Basically, I'll make the same amount of money no matter where I live, unless I get into another line of work... It works out good in places with a low cost of living (like here), but I would be pretty broke somewhere where the rent is triple what I pay now.
I think somewhere like southern California would realistically be out of question, just for that reason... That's the reason most of the aviation work is in the south. Texas, Alabama, Florida, North & South Carolina, Georgia all have a ton of aviation jobs, and are all pretty cheap to live in.

Anywhere there's an airport is obviously going to have some kind of aviation work, but not necessarily the kind of work I do...

I think we just need to get out of this town, lol - not necessarily Texas. San Antonio is a cool city - I'll look around some more and see what I can find there. After a quick search STA is hiring (they always are), but they don't pay any good, lol.

And I'll have to look at what my current employer has going on at other facilities - a transfer would be pretty easy. And we have facilities all over the place, lol.

Alright well then lets use the same method but shoot for something else. Look for a place that is dirt cheap to live. Since pay is a constant you can look at the local economy instead. The same craigslist trick I mentioned earlier will work for this too.

For my industry Austin Texas is one of the better pay to living expenses ratio because its still a technical place but dirt cheap to live.

Where would your wife and kids prefer to live?

Where would your wife and kids prefer to live?
Ha - they don't care. They just want out of here. This is a pretty boring town, unless you want to drive to Dallas or Fort Worth every weekend.

Plus, work opportunities for her here are pretty slim. Other than where I work, Walmart, fast food, or the mall is all there really is. And there isn't anything you can walk to from our apartment. We could move somewhere else in the same town, and be within walking distance to some things - but it's still just an empty mall (really) and fast food joints. There's a movie theater and a bowling alley, and that's pretty much it for entertainment.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to take a pay cut no matter what. We really are the highest paying gig out there, not counting airlines. I guess that's what it takes to keep people here, lol. Right now, I'm thinking of San Antonio, Houston, and Miami - in that order. Maybe Fort Worth too. My Dad lives in Forth Worth, and Lockheed would hire me, assuming that they're hiring (haven't checked). They're always going on strike or getting laid off though...

You know, I would prefer to live someplace I actually enjoyed living. If I had to earn a little less money in order to be happy, then I suppose that would be okay. If your whole family dislikes this town as much as you seem to do, then, maybe, it's about time you looked for a new home. Home is supposed to be someplace nice and cosy. Someplace you can tell other people you live without making the name of the town a subtle curse ;)

Having family close would help, especially with smaller kids. I'm sure you'll figure it out :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back