Everything EVIL in you comes out

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Village Idiot, May 15, 2012.

1. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    All of these are great. And I really AM intrigued by the idea of owning a mirrorless system. But I still just can't get over how much you DONT look like a photographer holding one. :p

Mark

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Haha... But at times it's an advantage.

3. Buckster

Buckster In memoriam

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Surprised you don't already have a Manfrotto Superclamp ($26 on Amazon) or two somewhere in your gear bag to deal with that. I love those things, and it should work perfect for mounting the camera to bicycle handlebars (or almost anything else).

Personally, I wouldn't use any kind of a spring clamp for this. I'd use something a lot more solid-holding that can't possibly vibrate or slip or get bumped off, taking your gear for a ride with it.

Looking at clamps at Lowe's online, something like this should work: Shop Gampak 1" Rigid Clamp at Lowes.com for the secure clamp, then you just need the bolt/nut and washers to mount the camera to it. I'd probably line the clamp with a piece of rubber glued into it as well, to help prevent it from slipping/spinning on the handlebars, even though it will be tightened down. Total DIY solution cost: about $2 bucks.

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

I do, I do, but numbnuts here didn't think about that. I just gave it a dry run and I do believe you are most correct, sir. Cheers. :thumbsup:

5. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Keeping this thread going...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shot with an Olympus OMD E-M5. Recent shots are presented B&W because I just purchased a new toy... Nik Software Complete and SilverFX brought some fun back into shooting black and white.

6. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OM-D w/ Pany 100-300 and 45-200 - Youth Soccer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I think I did okay, the camera, when compared to a dSLR, was not in the same league regarding C-AF. The C-AF on the Oly simply does not work, the images were shot with S-AF and the operator pumping the focus button. The EVF sucked when compared to a dSLR optical. but if one continued to follow the action with both eyes open, using the right when the EVF refreshed, and the left between refreshes, one could manage. This was five year olds, dunno if I could shoot something faster like seven year olds with the OM-D.

The more I work with the OM-D, the easier it is to get the shots I want. Hopefully I'm only an update or two away from a viable C-AF.

The DOF, as expected, is much more distracting due to lack of fast long lenses, multiplied by the small sensor, than my usual working dSLR's.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  7. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My new toy. I found it sitting on a used shelf at a local camera store for pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

I'm now looking at OM-1n's on ebay.

8. Jaemie

Jaemie No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I love #1, but they are all very nice! Thanks for the very helpful information, too. :thumbup:

9. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Question to the OM-D shooters out there.....

Have any of you bought the two-stage grip for the body yet? If so, care to give your thoughts?

I went to my local shop the other week and they had them in the box without, but one of the staff members had their own with the grip. I felt the same way when I first slapped on a grip on my Nikon bodies. Damn good feeling. One down down side that I can see is the compromise with increasing the footprint. If it is an easy on/off without having to do a lot of mucking about would be a bonus.

10. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    I did.... I was on the fence with the decision for quite a long time.

Pros:
    * Well built.
    * Comfortable.. especially with larger lenses like the 100-300mm or larger adapted lenses.
    * Designed well. Shutter and Dials on both the grip and vertical battery grip are well placed.
    * Grip by itself (without the vertical battery grip) actually doesn't increase the foot print too much.
    * Weather-sealed just like the rest of the body
    * With 1 battery in the camera and 1 battery in the vertical battery grip == Lots of shooting time. By default it drains the battery grip battery first then the one in the camera. I have 3 batteries and treat the one in the camera as a backup. Swapping the battery in the grip is very very quick and easy.
    * Extra buttons to assign functions.
    * Switch to disable the vertical grip shutter.
    * Just like old school grips... the two pieces use the tripod screw mount so you gotta twist a knob. I didn't find it a problem.
    * With just the grip attached, I didn't find the camera much bulkier. Added weight is slight. Camera is noticeably bulkier with both sections attached as you might expect.

Cons:
    * Price. Seems a bit expensive which is why it took a while for me to decide
    * You have to unscrew and remove the grip to access the battery compartment on the camera itself. Its different from other camera designs in which both batteries reside in two compartments built into the grip. I figure it probably wasn't designed that way due to size
    * Did I say Price?

PS> Subforum Please...?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  11. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

12. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit

Good stuff usayit, keep 'em comin'. The images I've seen from the OMD here and at mu-43 are impressive.

I'll be in the NC mountains in about 3 weeks for my annual Fall Foliage Tour. I have been suffering from 2 herniated lumbar discs lately, so the Nikon gear is definitely staying at home. I'm thinking of renting the OMD along with the 12mm and the new 75mm lenses. A 10 day rental will run me about $250 for all three. This will give me a good head-to-head comparison with the EP3 to see if an ugrade is in the making.