Excessive Noise on D7000

I'm thinking the f/14 was intentional to get more of the background in focus. The ISO 800 at 1/800th of a second was the part I was confused about.

My point was, regardless of what camera you have, if you don't use the right settings for the situation, you're probably not going to be happy with the results.

Kerbouchard said:
Why are you at 1/800th of a second at f/14, and ISO 800 for a subject that isn't moving at a focal length of 32mm? Just seems like some strange settings for that situation.

I was thinking the sane thing. You could have easily shot at a lower ISO and opened up your aperture a bit to f/5.6 or so. You would still have had a good exposure but you wouldn't have had to shoot at f/14 and 800 ISO.

Actually the Canon 7D is king of the crop mountain. We can argue pros and cons of each, but at the end of the day, the Canon 7D racks up more pros than the D7000. Therefore, its the King. The D7000, much like Derrel, is more of a Queen. :lmao:

Really? Because there's a website that just counts pros and cons. Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000 Here's the comparison. I think the only things on the 7D that are superior are is the autofocus and and the megapixel count.

Now if we're looking at things that are less superfluous, here's the sensor comparison. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
And since this is a thread about noise performance; I'd say the 7D just got smashed.

And let me quote myself and highlight the context of the comment.
That the D7000 is the king of crop mountain and has the best ISO performance of DX/APS-C bodies.

The Canon 7D does not have the best ISO performance of DX/APS-C bodies. Even the D3100 kicks its ass.

Actually, that page is flawed in its winner/loser comparison on many accounts. I have seen it rank bridge cameras higher than SLRs. While it is a decent source for a quick side by side comparison, it is still often flawed. Case in point, it claims that the 7D is not weathersealed which is clearly wrong. It also fails to mention the full magnesium body of the 7D, most notably around the spot where the lens attaches to the camera ( many would say THE MOST IMPORTANT SPOT TO BE REIENFORCED ON A HOUSING! ) Also, I prefer quality over quantity as in all cross-type focus points. It also has a faster response and a higher frame rate. Noise is a silly argument considering EVERY digital camera has noise to some degree or another ( For example, see the title of this thread ) and you need to know how to tame it as a photographer regardless of which camera you are using. The 7D does not have an amount of noise that makes it unusable so the topic becomes pretty moot at that point. While I am not saying the D7000 is junk, and it is a very strong competitor, it is not above the 7D. I will say that in the video department, it probably wins, but who cares about that?

Here is a more indepth comparison.

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice/516727/dslr-head-to-head-nikon-d7000-vs-canon-eos-7d.html

Also, my post was mainly made to poke fun at Derrel since he chimed in simply to be a Nikon praise-singing choir boy

"I think the only things on the 7D that are superior are is the autofocus and and the megapixel count."

And the FPS, and the magnesium body. To me, if you are buying either of these two cameras, its for the frame rate and the fast AF.

Last edited:
GooniesNeverSayDie11 said:
Actually, that page is flawed in its winner/loser comparison on many accounts. I have seen it rank bridge cameras higher than SLRs. While it is a decent source for a quick side by side comparison, it is still often flawed. Case in point, it claims that the 7D is not weathersealed which is clearly wrong. It also fails to mention the full magnesium body of the 7D, most notably around the spot where the lens attaches to the camera ( many would say THE MOST IMPORTANT SPOT TO BE REIENFORCED ON A HOUSING! ) Also, I prefer quality over quantity as in all cross-type focus points. It also has a faster response and a higher frame rate. Noise is a silly argument considering EVERY digital camera has noise to some degree or another and you need to know how to tame it as a photographer regardless of which camera you are using. The 7D does not have an amount of noise that makes it unusable so the topic becomes pretty moot at that point. While I am not saying the D7000 is junk, and it is a very strong competitor, it is not above the 7D. I will say that in the video department, it probably wins, but who cares about that?

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equipment/advice/516727/dslr-head-to-head-nikon-d7000-vs-canon-eos-7d.htmlAlso, my post was mainly made to poke fun at Derrel since he chimed in simply to be a Nikon praise singing choir boy

"I think the only things on the 7D that are superior are is the autofocus and and the megapixel count."

And the FPS, and the magnesium body. To me, if you are buying either of these two cameras, its for the frame rate and the fast AF.

High iso performance is a moot point? Go shoot sports indoors at iso 3200-5000 with both the 7d and the 7000, and tell me
Which one puts out more useable images.

As far as a moot point... Sure, the 7d is built better. But who cares? I don't pound nails in with my camera body. I have beat the living heck out of my d80 (all plastic nikon) and exposed it to dirt/mud/moisture at least once a week for the last 2 years. It's never skipped a beat, and therefore I know the d7000 will be plenty durable for just about everyones needs.

I have beat the living heck out of my d80 (all plastic nikon)

Me too. For the first month I was under the impression that it had a magnesium body. So I was pretty rough with it. Solid as a rock.

GooniesNeverSayDie11 said:
Actually, that page is flawed in its winner/loser comparison on many accounts. I have seen it rank bridge cameras higher than SLRs. While it is a decent source for a quick side by side comparison, it is still often flawed. Case in point, it claims that the 7D is not weathersealed which is clearly wrong. It also fails to mention the full magnesium body of the 7D, most notably around the spot where the lens attaches to the camera ( many would say THE MOST IMPORTANT SPOT TO BE REIENFORCED ON A HOUSING! ) Also, I prefer quality over quantity as in all cross-type focus points. It also has a faster response and a higher frame rate. Noise is a silly argument considering EVERY digital camera has noise to some degree or another and you need to know how to tame it as a photographer regardless of which camera you are using. The 7D does not have an amount of noise that makes it unusable so the topic becomes pretty moot at that point. While I am not saying the D7000 is junk, and it is a very strong competitor, it is not above the 7D. I will say that in the video department, it probably wins, but who cares about that?

DSLR head to head: Nikon D7000 vs Canon EOS 7D | Buying Advice | What Digital CameraAlso, my post was mainly made to poke fun at Derrel since he chimed in simply to be a Nikon praise singing choir boy

High iso performance is a moot point? Go shoot sports indoors at iso 3200-5000 with both the 7d and the 7000, and tell me
Which one puts out more useable images.

As far as a moot point... Sure, the 7d is built better. But who cares? I don't pound nails in with my camera body. I have beat the living heck out of my d80 (all plastic nikon) and exposed it to dirt/mud/moisture at least once a week for the last 2 years. It's never skipped a beat, and therefore I know the d7000 will be plenty durable for just about everyones needs.
"Usable" is a subjective term. The 7D handles noise at high ISO very well. Does it need some help in the post processing department? Sure, so does your D7000, or we wouldn't be on this thread right now.. Sorry, if we are talking about shooting sports, I would rather have the fastest frame rate, lightning quick AF, and a magnesium body that can support the rigors of fast super-teles no matter how hard of an abuse it gets. Dropping 10K worth of glass can ruin a day of shooting pretty damn fast. I can buy faster glass for indoor shooting. Thats also what god invented strobes for. Of course if you aspire to shoot nothing but elementary school gymnasium sports, then perhaps the cheaper D7000 is the more wise investment for that smidgen of better ISO performance. :lol:

Also, keep in mind, test labs, and the real world are very different animals.

Anyway, I am sure you guys love your D7000, and I am sure it is a great camera. My point wasn't so much to insult or rip down your prized camera, it was just to bring you guys out of your fervor and into reality once again.

. Thats also what god invented strobes for. Of course if you aspire to shoot nothing but elementary school gymnasium sports, then perhaps the cheaper D7000 is the more wise investment for that smidgen of better ISO performance. :lol:

That's the best cheap shot got? lol

Both cameras are fine, both will do very well in many things. I'm a Nikon guy but I'd buy a Canon just for the better video features.

Last edited:
. Thats also what god invented strobes for. Of course if you aspire to shoot nothing but elementary school gymnasium sports, then perhaps the cheaper D7000 is the more wise investment for that smidgen of better ISO performance. :lol:

That's all the best cheap shot got? lol

Not sure what you are saying here......maybe I am missing something. sorry.

I agree about both cameras being great. I typically am not one to argue Nikon vs Canon, and I am really not doing that here although I know thats what its taken as. I will readily admit that the D7000 is a better camera than the Canon 60D. Its not that I just hate Nikon, I am just being honest about it. I'd shoot with a D7000 any day of the week if that was the camera I had at my disposal. I bet there are people that can show you pics with both that are great as well as people who could show you pics taken with both that completely suck. However, that doesn't change reality. The 7D is slightly better than the D7000. It doesn't blow it out of the water or anything, but its better. Plain and simple. If you say other wise, you are simply living in a fantasy world.

I agree about both cameras being great. I typically am not one to argue Nikon vs Canon, and I am really not doing that here although I know thats what its taken as. I will readily admit that the D7000 is a better camera than the Canon 60D. Its not that I just hate Nikon, I am just being honest about it. I'd shoot with a D7000 any day of the week if that was the camera I had at my disposal. I bet there are people that can show you pics with both that are great as well as people who could show you pics taken with both that completely suck. However, that doesn't change reality. The 7D is slightly better than the D7000. It doesn't blow it out of the water or anything, but its better. Plain and simple. If you say other wise, you are simply living in a fantasy world.

Here's a quick look at the strength and weaknesses of both cameras, Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000. Both cameras perform very close and better in different areas. I'd say if you think one is just simply better than the other then you are really living in a fantasy world.

However, that doesn't change reality. The 7D is slightly better than the D7000. It doesn't blow it out of the water or anything, but its better. Plain and simple. If you say other wise, you are simply living in a fantasy world.

The only reality is that the 7D its better at certain things. The D7000 is better at others. There is no cut and dry winner. I have and use both and I personally prefer the D7000.

Anyway, I am sure you guys love your D7000, and I am sure it is a great camera. My point wasn't so much to insult or rip down your prized camera, it was just to bring you guys out of your fervor and into reality once again.

LOL, you are the only one who is defending your camera like it was your own creation. You are quick to mention all the 'pluses' for the 7D, but you've failed to mention any of the D7K, so for fairness sake, lets take a look at a few. For starters, the sensor has 12.5% more area than that of the better built 7D (I realize you were likely referring to the chassis only, but 'better built' with respect to what; its a subjective statement). How about when you've shot a sporting event (since you continue to mention sports shooting) and your CF card fails? What, the 'better built' 7D body doesn't have dual card slots for backing up important shoots? The inferior D7000 does. The metering system on the D7000 is more accurate and consistent, IMO, and the AF performance differences between the two are pretty negligible in my experience. High ISO performance is not really a moot point, btw. A useable image may be subjective, but if my ISO 6400 looks like your ISO 3200, then I just gained 1 full stop of light over you, all other things being equal of course. And please do not embarrass yourself by comparing the D7000 to the 60D as they're not even on the same level.

This has just turned into petty bickering. I'm sure both can take outstanding images with the right hands. As has beeen shown, the D7000, at least can take bad images with the wrong settings for the situation. I am sure the 7D is no different.

FWIW, I'll stick with my 'old' D700.

Here's a quick look at the strength and weaknesses of both cameras, Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000. Both cameras perform very close and better in different areas. I'd say if you think one is just simply better than the other then you are really living in a fantasy world.
This has already been posted and responded to, keep up.

ISO 6400, SOOC. Shot in raw, so just in camera NR.

iso6400.jpg

LOL, you are the only one who is defending your camera like it was your own creation. You are quick to mention all the 'pluses' for the 7D, but you've failed to mention any of the D7K, so for fairness sake, lets take a look at a few. For starters, the sensor has 12.5% more area than that of the better built 7D (I realize you were likely referring to the chassis only, but 'better built' with respect to what; its a subjective statement). How about when you've shot a sporting event (since you continue to mention sports shooting) and your CF card fails? What, the 'better built' 7D body doesn't have dual card slots for backing up important shoots? The inferior D7000 does. The metering system on the D7000 is more accurate and consistent, IMO, and the AF performance differences between the two are pretty negligible in my experience. High ISO performance is not really a moot point, btw. A useable image may be subjective, but if my ISO 6400 looks like your ISO 3200, then I just gained 1 full stop of light over you, all other things being equal of course. And please do not embarrass yourself by comparing the D7000 to the 60D as they're not even on the same level.
You didn't even bother reading anything written prior to your rambling. I stated strengths of the D7000. So do you buy an advanced camera because of a memory card slot? If you do, you are a bigger idiot than I suspected. Don't embarrass yourself. If you use cheap cards and do not format, you get crashed cards. An extra memory card slot doesn't fix stupid. The metering being better is a debatable statement, but regardless I will humor you on that, if you shoot manual, metering doesn't matter. See, metering does not mean that a picture exposes better, it means that the camera sets the settings ( or tells you what to set it at more or less accurately ) You can meter on your own and get the correct exposure, no matter what camera you have. You can't however, reach into the camera and manually speed your camera up to a faster frame rate. You also can't reach in and make it focus faster ( you could try and argue that you can manual focus, but I am talking about highspeed shooting where a fast AF would actually matter ). Here is a reality check for you, more AF points does not mean faster or more accurate AF. It just means more sh*t to sift through and clog up your viewfinder and sounds better in a checklist of features.

Also, I did not mention sports, it was a response to someone else mentioning shooting indoor sports.Try reading before sticking your nose into something, or atleast comprehending what you read. I am not defending my camera because I own it. I also own a T1i, I won't debate that being better than a D7000, or even a D90. I can just admit the truth. Its ok if you can't.

I say their both awesome cameras and you can't go wrong with either one. I prefer the 7D because it feels better in my hands. I just wish it was priced closer to the D7K, which I think is an amazing value. I wonder what is in store for the 7D MK 2? As to the OP, I think maybe some more experience would help solve the issue, cause it's not the camera nor the glass.

Most reactions

Back