Excessive Noise on D7000

Why are you at 1/800th of a second at f/14, and ISO 800 for a subject that isn't moving at a focal length of 32mm? Just seems like some strange settings for that situation.

it was a snap shot, shot with aperture priority, forgot to lower the iso

here is a screen shot of what I mean
Untitled-1-1.jpg
Two issues:1) the faces are underexposed by about 1.5 stops. 2) it looks like you're using zero noise reduction, even my d700 will show noise at 100% in a mid-tone/dark area at iso 800 without noise reduction.

It can also be lens related. I know that there's a HUGE difference in noise between my Nikon 50mm f1.8D and my Tamron 10-24mm. Also double check your image quality settings, sharpness correction, and other image related settings. My D7000 has beautiful "grains" at 100% zoom. Your sample posted looks like it's reduced 256 colors GIF. I'll post a sample of my 100% zoom in a bit.

Last edited:
It can also be lens related. I know that there's a HUGE difference in noise between my Nikon 50mm f1.8D and my Tamron 10-24mm.
Noise/grain has absolutely nothing to do with optics.

It can also be lens related. I know that there's a HUGE difference in noise between my Nikon 50mm f1.8D and my Tamron 10-24mm.

Maybe you're right, but this is what I see, both were shot at ISO 125, f7.1, 1/250s, 100% zoom.

35-70_f7_1.jpg

10-24_f7_1.jpg

:(

Last edited:
Simple solution = don't crop to 100%

thats no good, why pay a grand for something that doesnt work well?

It works for fine. I dont see a problem with the camera. I do, however, see a problem (as stated above) underexposed areas which will cause excessive noise in any digital camera. It is the nature of the beast.

Maybe you're right, but this is what I see, both were shot at ISO 125, f7.1, 1/250s, 100% zoom.

35-70_f7_1.jpg

10-24_f7_1.jpg

that's what I was trying to point out, I'm getting that same pattern/texture on my photos that was shot in low ISO too. not sure what it is that's causing that.

the shot i posted was shot in RAW with NR set as high. I'll see if I can find a better example

It works for fine. I dont see a problem with the camera. I do, however, see a problem (as stated above) underexposed areas which will cause excessive noise in any digital camera. It is the nature of the beast.

I notice you have the D7000 as well, if it's not too much of a hassle, can you post a few samples? I just want to see some comparison
Thanks!

that's what I was trying to point out, I'm getting that same pattern/texture on my photos that was shot in low ISO too. not sure what it is that's causing that.

In my case, it was two different lenses. The Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-5.6 produces a much more noticeable grain than my Nikon 35-70mm f2.8, with the same camera (D7000) and exact settings as you can see. This grain is different than digital noise.

What's the general consensus here?

That the D7000 is the king of crop mountain and has the best ISO performance of DX/APS-C bodies. You need better ISO performance? Next step up is the D700 or the Canon 5D mark II.

Yes, diz-actly!
Actually the Canon 7D is king of the crop mountain. We can argue pros and cons of each, but at the end of the day, the Canon 7D racks up more pros than the D7000. Therefore, its the King. The D7000, much like Derrel, is more of a Queen. :lmao:

35-70_f7_1.jpg

10-24_f7_1.jpg

the shot i posted was shot in RAW with NR set as high. I'll see if I can find a better example

Optics do not cause noise. Optics may cause poor image quality in other regards. They may also cause your camera to underexpose ( like sometimes when using teleconverters) which in turn produces more noise. The second of these two images is underexposed and that is why there is more noise. Also, when you use a wider lens and your subject seems more distant in the shot, then you in turn have to zoom in further to view the same spot ( a persons head for instance ) and with less detail. Therefore it looks like crap all around. Also, I have noticed that at times when using a really long focal length, and teleconverters, that the viewfinder gets very speckled and cloudy but that is due to low light and the inner workings of the viewfinder and has nothing to do with the image that the sensor sees.

Noise is very subjective. Depending what camera you used before, how you view your image, how you edit your images, and what your expectations are to begin with, can all influence whether or not you feel a camera has too much noise. Expose properly to minimize noise (ETTR) Do not view a shot at 100% in an underexposed area and expect a miracle, and learn to process the shot effectively. Shoot in RAW ( which does not apply any in camera NR which could be another expectation problem ) and then bring the noise down a bit in ACR or LR during the RAW conversion. Also be careful of your sharpening process, you may be accentuating noise because your "masking" or your "threshold" is not set right so you are sharpening smooth areas like the blurred background or an area that is not your subject.

Why are you at 1/800th of a second at f/14, and ISO 800 for a subject that isn't moving at a focal length of 32mm? Just seems like some strange settings for that situation.

it was a snap shot, shot with aperture priority, forgot to lower the iso
That's no good. Why spend a grand on something and not learn how to use it?

Actually the Canon 7D is king of the crop mountain. We can argue pros and cons of each, but at the end of the day, the Canon 7D racks up more pros than the D7000. Therefore, its the King. The D7000, much like Derrel, is more of a Queen. :lmao:

Really? Because there's a website that just counts pros and cons. Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000 Here's the comparison. I think the only things on the 7D that are superior are is the autofocus and and the megapixel count.

Now if we're looking at things that are less superfluous, here's the sensor comparison. DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
And since this is a thread about noise performance; I'd say the 7D just got smashed.

And let me quote myself and highlight the context of the comment.
That the D7000 is the king of crop mountain and has the best ISO performance of DX/APS-C bodies.

The Canon 7D does not have the best ISO performance of DX/APS-C bodies. Even the D3100 kicks its ass.

Kerbouchard said:

I was thinking the sane thing. You could have easily shot at a lower ISO and opened up your aperture a bit to f/5.6 or so. You would still have had a good exposure but you wouldn't have had to shoot at f/14 and 800 ISO.

Most reactions

Back