Expensive lenses? Nikon D40 (or) Canon 400D

mindsite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello All,

Its been quite a while since I put something here. I have finally come to the moment where I am about to get my first DSLR. I was thinking of the Nikon D40 and Canon 400D. From a few reviews and threads within this forum I did find that the 400D was a better bet. But what I was wondering is that the Canon lenses for it costs much higher especially when we have something like the Nikor 55-200 telephote around 250 $ for Nikon D40.

So I was wondering if it was worth investing a smaller amount on the D40 kit + the 55-200 telephoto rather than investing in the 400D and having to buy more expensive lenses for it later.

Please let me know if I have something wrong in mind and correct me.

cheers

Both companies have excellent bodies and excellent lenses, all priced similarly. You'll find that Nikon also makes very expensive lenses the same as Canon, and it's true of any lens very high quality, it will cost a lot to manufacture. If you find Canon or Nikon lenses to rich for your blood, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina make lenses for both systems.

On thing to keep in mind when switching from a P&S to a DSLR is you ARE NOT buying a camera. You are buying a system. The body you choose is just a part of the system. With a P&S it is an all in one, lens, body, sensor, etc. With a DSLR you will replace bodies and still have lenses to use with the new body.

If you look at it in the long haul, a $1,300.00, 70-200 f2.8 is pretty cheap if you are still using it 10 years from now. And you can if it is cared for. By then you will have probably bought several camera bodies.

Of the two cameras you mentioned, I would go for the Canon instead of the Nikon that you listed, or look at the D80 from Nikon instead. The D40 only has Auto Focus on a small selection of lenses at this time. The D80 can use any of Nikon's AF lenses.

Which ever way you go, depending on your budget, you might want to get the body alone and put the difference towards a better lens.

Most reactions

Back