Experimenting With New Camera

baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time using high ISO (2000 - 3200). And also the first time using camera's crop mode on the last three. What do you think?

1. Anna's Hummingbird
DSC_0641.jpg

2. House Finch
DSC_0653.jpg

3. Purple Finch
DSC_0664.jpg

4. Steller's Jay
DSC_0678.jpg

5. House Sparrow (female)
DSC_0722.jpg

The Purple Finch and Steller's Jay are the ones for me :) But I love those colors in the last one.

Sweetness!

What do I think? I think Snerd is right!

I also think I can't believe I actually said that out loud.. lol

Seriously though, really amazing shots - the clarity is truly spectacular.

The Purple Finch and Steller's Jay are the ones for me :) But I love those colors in the last one.

Sweetness!
Yup, I love it when birds land in that shrub. It seems to work with anything. Thanks.

Thanks all. It's difficult to fully express how I feel about this D7100.

I am impressed with it too. This is one of the reasons why ( I hope he does not mind me post/linking it). Check out the settings used.

Great Horned Owl ISO 9000 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Baturn, as my Osprey season is ending, I was just thinking yesterday how many useable high ISO shots I got this year that I would have never posted last year. People say gear doesn't matter, but some times it can make a difference in keepers vs the too noisy recycle bin. Nice job in this thread.

JR, I don't mind, but I don't want to hi-jack Baturn's thread. But as you can tell I had almost no light. wide open at 600mm 1/125th handheld and ISO 9000, yuck recipe for disaster. I normally limit the D7100 to ISO 6400 but I had to go higher in the light I had. Sure I lost detail, but at least I got something, lol...

Great shots.

I liked how you stopped the hummingbirds wings - what was the shutter speed ?

Although they are all very nicely caught, I think #2 is the nicest pose.
There is an inexplicable loss of focus on the breast feathers.
The DOF isn't very large at the focal length and perhaps that lens is back focussing a bit, this getting the head in the field but missing the chest.

Although they are all very nicely caught, I think #2 is the nicest pose.
There is an inexplicable loss of focus on the breast feathers.
The DOF isn't very large at the focal length and perhaps that lens is back focussing a bit, this getting the head in the field but missing the chest.
Excellent observations. Icalibrated the focus for this lens on my D300s but only did a "oh' that looks about right" on the D7100 so far. Thank you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back