Exposing your SLR to weather elements?

JoanneD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. I hope this doesn’t sound like a dumb question. I was wondering what you do to protect your camera from the elements. I tend not to take my D80 out when it’s raining or snowing. Can you safely expose your camera to the elements? Can cameras handle precipitation? What about exposure to sand at the beach?

Thanks in advance, I think I am being too cautious and should be taking my camera out more often.

I take my camera everywhere. I use an umbrella if it is raining, or you could buy a camera rain cover for it. For the beach... Well just take a blanket that will not get sand sticking to it if you have to set the camera down. other then that my camera has been exposed to many different elements. just have to make sure you care for it once you put it to bed for the night:)

Cameras are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for. Even consumer models such as the D80 have a decent weather resistance; that's not to say that I would condone spending four hours shooting in a monsoon, but the odd light shower, or similar isn't going to hurt too much. Just keep a dry cloth in your pocket and wipe it off when you can. Sand isn't much of a concern as long as you keep it out of the internals. Again, wipe if off with a soft, dry cloth when you can, and if you've been at the beach or around salt-water, a use a cloth dampened in fresh water.

If you do need/want to go out in more extreme weather, invest in a good quality cover such as the Kata series.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back