Exposure math

Rick50

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out the other night to try out the Cambo 4x5. Figured I would try some filters. By the 4th shot I was using 3 filters. A #8 yellow to darken the sky, a 2 stop split grad to increase exposure on the water, and a 6 stop little stopper to smooth out the water. After all the math in my head and adding reciprocity time from the Ilford chart I ended up with 12 seconds at F/8 on a 180mm lens. Getting an exposure App might simplify this. But it did turn out.

You and KD keep reminding me that I once had to "think" before I took a picture.
It is very different. With my digital camera I would easily take 50 or more pics in the hours time I was there. It records everything, keeps track of time, etc. On the 4x5 I use a digital voice recorder and talk to myself to keep a record. After setting up the camera and getting it focused I didn't move anything till I was done. Just swapped out filters. I took 6 pictures in that hour.

Nice; good job on the exposure.
Thanks John.

It Was worth the effort!!!

Ten minutes per frame has always been my 'in the zone' rate. I can get a lot slower - I am happy with five frames per day so long as they are keepers.

Ten minutes per frame has always been my 'in the zone' rate. I can get a lot slower - I am happy with five frames per day so long as they are keepers.
I think thats the point with film. One needs to slow way down and really look at the scene a lot more. It's a different perspective than digital.

You're having way too much fun. I need to dust off the Fuji GX680 and polish up on my math.
I've considered that camera. It has some nice features but there seems a shortage of parts available. I like 120 roll film and will probably go 6 x 17 as I think I have more things I can do with it. When you start shooting Fuji Velvia on 4x5 it can get pricey.

I think thats the point with film. One needs to slow way down and really look at the scene a lot more. It's a different perspective than digital........

The medium makes no difference. What you are referring to here is economics. When you shoot film, you know each image is costing you so much money whether it comes out the way you want it to or not.

You could just as easily go out and shoot 6 frames an hour with a DSLR.

I think thats the point with film. One needs to slow way down and really look at the scene a lot more. It's a different perspective than digital........

The medium makes no difference. What you are referring to here is economics. When you shoot film, you know each image is costing you so much money whether it comes out the way you want it to or not.

True, but you can't shoot 50-100 frames in a 4x5 like a DSLR because it's all manual. Economics is a major factor though as every shot counts in large format. Either way, the fact that you slow down helps (I think).

Ben Horne makes the point here. And yes, this could be done with 35mm but I never did it.

True, but you can't shoot 50-100 frames in a 4x5 like a DSLR because it's all manual. Economics is a major factor though as every shot counts in large format. Either way, the fact that you slow down helps (I think).

You're comparing apples and oranges, Ferraris to Kenworths. I doubt you could adapt a medium format digital back to an RB67 and shoot 12 fps either.

You can still shoot the he11 out of 35mm film, just like most do with a DSLR. And you can shoot a DSLR exactly like you would a 35mm camera. So the medium makes no difference.

Most reactions

Back