extention tubes.

bazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just in need of some advise,

I only have a 18-55 kit lens off a 400d. Can I still get a decent dof if i use extention tubes or would a dedicated macro lens be a million times better?

just trying to save money if i can...

Cheers.

I'm not sure what your question is. What is "decent dof"? Dof is affected by the focal length, distance to subject, and aperture. The closer you are to your subject, the less depth of field you will have, but a lens stopped down to f/22 should provide adequate depth of field for most situations. Of course, a dedicated macro lens will give a sharper image, and probably stop down to f/32.

I'm not sure what your question is. What is "decent dof"? Dof is affected by the focal length, distance to subject, and aperture. The closer you are to your subject, the less depth of field you will have, but a lens stopped down to f/22 should provide adequate depth of field for most situations. Of course, a dedicated macro lens will give a sharper image, and probably stop down to f/32.

Matt is obviously correct. If the image is let's say at 1 to 1 magnification, and you shoot at f/22, then it makes no difference if you use a macro lens, ext. tubes or close-up "filters". The trade offs are cost/ease of use/sharpness.

just thought id get back to you, my tubes turned up today, and they are awesome. I really recommend using a tripod though, unless you have steady hands, (I know I havent :p) .. for what the tubes cost compared to a macro lens, I would go for the tubes all day long if your not doing much macro shooting.

just thought id get back to you, my tubes turned up today, and they are awesome. I really recommend using a tripod though, unless you have steady hands, (I know I havent :p) .. for what the tubes cost compared to a macro lens, I would go for the tubes all day long if your not doing much macro shooting.

what tubes did you get?

Most reactions

Back