Eyefi card question

iKokomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Is there a way for me to take a picture using my Eyefi card (wifi enabled SD card) and have it download automatically to my computer and show up in lightroom 4 beta (like a USB tethered capture but without the USB tether, wirelessly) Thanks a lot

Yes. Is your computer on Wi-Fi? Check out Eye-Fi's web site for instructions on how to setup your computer (or phone/tablet) to grab the pics after you take them.

Can I set Lightroom to automatically pick up photos from a certain folder and then have Lightroom full screen it automatically?

Yes, you should.
You set up an 'Auto Import' on a 'watched folder'. Then set your wifi card to put the cards into that folder.

As I understand it, the wifi cards are painfully slow though. So unless you can set it to only send small JPEGs...this would really slow down a shoot.

They are slow, but not as bad as one would expect! Oh, for anyone with a wifi card. Can it be used on a ad-hoc network?

Ps I am doing a test shoot tonight, will see how fast it is and let you all know

They are slow, but not as bad as one would expect! Oh, for anyone with a wifi card. Can it be used on a ad-hoc network?
What type & size of files are you transmitting?

I'm thinking that it would be pretty darn slow for 21MP Raw files. But if you could shoot Raw+small JPEG, and only have it transmit the JPEG, it would exponentially faster.

Thanks for that! I forgot that last time I used it I was taking eBay photos in small mode. Well I will see later on tonight or tomorrow!

Yes. It will actually create it's own ad hoc network.

Speed isn't bad for me when I have it connected to the iPad, but I'm transferring jpegs. Maybe about 10-20 seconds for a 5-6 MB file. The EyeFi software is not the most stable in the world either. Sometimes if I exit the app and restart it, it will transfer twice as fast.

NickA said:

Speed isn't bad for me when I have it connected to the iPad, but I'm transferring jpegs. Maybe about 10-20 seconds for a 5-6 MB file. The EyeFi software is not the most stable in the world either. Sometimes if I exit the app and restart it, it will transfer twice as fast.

Is it possible to have my card send just a small jpeg over the network and keep the raw file on the card for download later via USB cable or card reader?

NickA said:

Is it possible to have my card send just a small jpeg over the network and keep the raw file on the card for download later via USB cable or card reader?

I don't think so, but that would be awesome if it could. I think anything it writes to the card it tries to send.

Yes, you should.
You set up an 'Auto Import' on a 'watched folder'. Then set your wifi card to put the cards into that folder.

As I understand it, the wifi cards are painfully slow though. So unless you can set it to only send small JPEGs...this would really slow down a shoot.

Our cards are Class 6 cards, which sustain write speeds of 12MBps (mega bytes).
They upload at 12mbps (mega bits) so that's 1.5MB.

So just divide your RAW file or JPG, by 1.5, and that's how quickly the card will upload to your computer, BEST CASE. It depends on how strong your Wi-Fi is, how close you are to the computer or router or tablet, etc...

NickA said:

ABSOLUTELY.

You can choose to transfer the RAW, OR NOT. Totally up to you.

When I shoot in the studio with my D300s, I DO NOT have the RAW uploads, upload through the Eye-Fi Card. I just have the JPG's upload to my tablet, so that I could check the shots. In that case, the uploads are nearly instant, and the entire studio experience is awesome.

When I shoot my kids on the weekend, I never shoot RAW, and all my JPG's go through my Android phone, via Verizon's 4G LTE, to the cloud, and to my Mac back home :)
When I shoot events, I shoot small JPG and have them go up to Facebook, in real-time.

The cards can be totally tweaked to do a lot of stuff. We give you a lot of knobs, but try to make it simple, so that "mom" and "dad" would be able to figure it out.

There is also the added fun that you can have with Selective Transfer and Selective Share :)

Transfer Mode | Eye-Fi Support

Thx,

Ziv.
Eye-Fi co-founder

You may want to use Lightroom's tether option. Wi-Fi is slow as Christmas for transferring RAW files to be processed in Lightroom.

Most reactions

Back