Eyes

Glycine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a picture today of my niece with my Nikon D7000, and her eyes are grey in the picture. Why did that happen? Her natural eye color is a light green color.

Sam

Ok thank you. How do I fix that or keep it from happening again.

I took a picture today of my niece with my Nikon D7000, and her eyes are grey in the picture. Why did that happen? Her natural eye color is a light green color.
Difficult to say with any certainty without seeing the image with included EXIF information.

Sounds like you need to play around with your white balance. In the menu there should be an adjustable color temperature parameter. Try taking the same photo many times, changing the color temp each time. You'll see that it makes a huge difference in how colors appear.

How do I fix that or keep it from happening again.
1wjfq

How do I fix that or keep it from happening again.
1wjfq
You can make some improvement to the existing image, depending on the type of file it is, and what editing software you have. For instance; my software is Aperture3 (Macintosh) and I import the file, and use the WB tools to make adjustments. Other softwares have similar tools.

To prevent it in the future, pay attention to the type of lighting present at the time, and set your white balance in the camera to "compensate" for the type of lighting. This is still somewhat inaccurate, but it works for most people. The other way is more complicated, but probably more accurate. Set a custom WB before you take the picture, and save the file as Raw, so you get more data with which to do the manipulations later on your computer.

If this is a file that you really want to "fix", either post it here (if JPG) or send it (if RAW) to one of the more experienced Photoshop users for them to fix it for you.

We'd need to see the image to be sure. Also... keep in mind some people's eye colors and saturation does actually change throughout the day.

I have a friend who I mistakenly thought was wearing colored contacts because he has pale-blue eyes normally... but sometimes I'd notice they were an intense blue -- so intense I didn't think it could be real. He did wear contacts and one day when I asked him about it, he popped out a contact lens to show me that they are, in fact, clear contacts and his eyes just do that (and he tells me that they seem to change based on how tired he is... he says they are the strongest blue when he's really tired and hasn't slept in a while.)

We'd need to see the image to be sure. Also... keep in mind some people's eye colors and saturation does actually change throughout the day.

I have a friend who I mistakenly thought was wearing colored contacts because he has pale-blue eyes normally... but sometimes I'd notice they were an intense blue -- so intense I didn't think it could be real. He did wear contacts and one day when I asked him about it, he popped out a contact lens to show me that they are, in fact, clear contacts and his eyes just do that (and he tells me that they seem to change based on how tired he is... he says they are the strongest blue when he's really tired and hasn't slept in a while.)

I agree - the green eyes might look grey because of the way the light was reflecting or just the color of her clothes. Might not necessarily be the white balance of the entire picture. OP should post it to see.

The same thing happened to me, though I experienced it from your friend's perspective. My eyes are green and they change slightly depending on what I'm wearing or, like your friend, how I'm feeling physically. They can go from yellow to very green. In grad school, a professor came up to me one day and said, "What do you have on your eyes?" "Um...nothing?" She was sure I had colored contacts in because she said they were so much greener than usual. I was wearing a green shirt that day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back