Face Forward Makeup Artistry

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys I was hired to do some photos for a local makeup artist to show off her abilities in her new business, Face Forward. They're a bit different, I provided the model but the client chose the clothes, some of the poses and of course, the makeup. ;) Thought I would share though because they are more supposed to show off the makeup and not the girl some of the portraiture rules have been broken, (only showing one eye, or shading both eyes with the hat.)

no5rad-1.jpg

no4try2rad.jpg

no6donerad.jpg

no11rad.jpg

Last edited:
The poses and everything look great!

But to me, (unless of course its the makup) they seem to photoshopped and the work does not seem real

#1, #3, and #7. High key should in almost all cases be an obvious no if you're shooting for a makeup artist's port.

#2. Nice light but I really think the hat is just way too big. I tried cropping it 10 different ways but couldn't cut down on the size without it looking even stranger.

#4. Very nice but way too much headroom. Try a crop to about .5-1 inch above the hat. I also might crop a little closer on the right.

#5. Great angle. Way too plastic.

#6. A definite no for me. The hair okay but I think creates a very weird angle on the forhead. I do not know why her eyebrows are uneven. Or why her right eye (not camera right) is more closed than the left. Makes it look like a lazy eye.

If you processed for a high-key look in number 7, go back and re-work it. Otherwise you're missing the classic beauty shot close-up.

Sorry for being so brief. I'm in a bit of a rush. You certainly seem to know what you're doing and it's very nice work.

Stranger - thanks for commenting. Number 5 and 6 the skin was played with in photoshop I was attempting to bring out the colors more in the makeup. ;) Oh yeah and the last one I added a gaussion blur and erased at 50 percent to give it that 'foggy' look.

Max Bloom - thanks for taking your time to let me know what to think - there is always room to learn so much more. I maybe feel like a dummy though because I dont know why its obvious about the high key for makeup artists. I have my idiot hat on today. ;) SHe wants me to do more so if you don't mind telling me why that is so I won't do it next time maybe.
#2, That hat IS big! I did not choose the wardrobe, just the model. But its what the client chose so I suppose that is what she was going for.

#3 I meant to ask you guys about that cropping issue - it feels too empty to me the way it is, forgot to ? that when i posted - thanks.

#5 yes WAY plastic, intentional and I would change it but I just really like it. Face Forward's favorite so it's cool. ;)

#6 her eyebrow is higher because she is raising it, which is forcing her other eye down a little. Intentional pose gone wrong i suppose if it seems like a lazy eye - oops.

and 7 - I think I brightened it a bit too much but i still think i like the gaussion blur on it - i may go try a few other ways, she does look very pretty in that one!

Max Bloom - thanks for taking your time to let me know what to think - there is always room to learn so much more. I maybe feel like a dummy though because I dont know why its obvious about the high key for makeup artists. I have my idiot hat on today. ;) SHe wants me to do more so if you don't mind telling me why that is so I won't do it next time maybe.

Because you're mostly blowing out the skin. Which means only mascara, heavy eyeliner and eye shadow, and heavy lipstick will show up. It removes all opportunity for the makeup artist to show off their true skill at beautifying skin. A monkey could apply mascara and eye shadow for high-key shots.

#2, That hat IS big! I did not choose the wardrobe, just the model. But its what the client chose so I suppose that is what she was going for.
Fair enough. Client gets what client wants.

#3 I meant to ask you guys about that cropping issue - it feels too empty to me the way it is, forgot to ? that when i posted - thanks.
Glad to be of service. ;)

#5 yes WAY plastic, intentional and I would change it but I just really like it. Face Forward's favorite so it's cool. ;)
The plastic look has its place. And if Face Forward likes it, that's great. But I think the shot could be better (even in the context of what they want) if the forehead wasn't so flat and blurred. The rest you can leave as-is. I feel that it would really improve the shot if there was more texture in the forehead. Your client probably doesn't know any better. But you do, and if they're going to advertise with your work, I think it's something you should consider correcting. Just explain to them that it allows their work to be shown off better, in a "who knows how good the makeup artist really is when the processing is that heavy" way. I could make a homeless woman's forehead look like that if I really felt like it. Do something that speaks for your client's talent.

#6 her eyebrow is higher because she is raising it, which is forcing her other eye down a little. Intentional pose gone wrong i suppose if it seems like a lazy eye - oops.
It happens. No big deal.

and 7 - I think I brightened it a bit too much but i still think i like the gaussion blur on it - i may go try a few other ways, she does look very pretty in that one!
See my answer to the high key bit.

Hope that helps,
Max

Max, it does help, thanks. And I am laughing my ass off at the homeless woman's forehead remark. :lol:

Max, it does help, thanks. And I am laughing my ass off at the homeless woman's forehead remark. :lol:

Just for you, I'm gonna do a before and after of a homeless woman. I'll post it in the post-processing section and add a link here when I finish. Feel free to bring it to your client. "I mean, I could make a homeless woman's forehead look like that if I felt like it...SEE!" (as you pull out the print). What better way to communicate with clients than rude awakenings?

Edit: Damn I can't find a high enough resolution picture. What's wrong with all you dSLR noobs? Don't you know one of the first things you're supposed to do when you get a camera is run out and take photos of homeless people?

Just for you, I'm gonna do a before and after of a homeless woman. I'll post it in the post-processing section and add a link here when I finish. Feel free to bring it to your client. "I mean, I could make a homeless woman's forehead look like that if I felt like it...SEE!" (as you pull out the print). What better way to communicate with clients than rude awakenings?

Edit: Damn I can't find a high enough resolution picture. What's wrong with all you dSLR noobs? Don't you know one of the first things you're supposed to do when you get a camera is run out and take photos of homeless people?

LMAO again - becuase that is just what I did! I have a few pics of homeless people. They're both men though and too far away for a forehead play. ;) But it's ok - I totally get what you are saying. I'll redo it when my kids aren't running rampant through the house!

Most reactions

Back