Factory Seamstress

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't taken many pictures lately, and had asked for and received some wonderful advice. Basically, it was go look at the work of others and see if you can't find some inspiration.

I work in a factory and have always wanted to photograph the seamstress I work with. They are wonderful women who never ever complain, despite their dreary working conditions. I wanted to photograph one of the ladies, Ana, but she refused to let me photograph her from the front. I got this shot from standing behind her, and I really like it. I hope you do too. I think it kind of conveys what I am talking about when I say "dreary".....

closeupsewweb.jpg

elsaspet said:
Ok, be honest. Does it suck?
Not a bit! But it's more of an interesting image, I want to study what the hands are doing, rather than it conveys "dreary" to me.

If she had let you stand back and shoot over her to include the back of her head, and around her, too - catch the dreary overhead lighting, maybe, or the tired look of the other workers at the end of the day - you might have caught that feeling better. That doesn't make THIS image bad to me, it just has a different feeling to me than what you intended. :) Does that make sense? Oh, and I'd like a little more contrast, please. ;)

i agree with Terri. i've been looking at the image for quite sometime and without a subdued facial expression or at least some factory atmosphere, it's not hitting that dreary feel for me. the image does speak to me; i like the focus on the working hands around the machine and your choice of DOF.

were you looking for serious critique Cindy? if so, i will move it for you.

Ok Terri. Thank you. I have another angle. Let me convert it, and give it to you in color and black and white. I had cropped in closely here. Back in a sec.

were you looking for serious critique Cindy? if so, i will move it for you.
If you do that now, Jonny, it will just confuse me. I'm old, and I'm tired. :x

Ok, JM, there seems to be a test around every corner. LOL! If it will make me focus more, I'm game. I'm honestly trying to find inspiration right now, and not having much luck......:meh: I want to learn, I reallllllllly realllllllllly do. What would be your suggestions.

Nope, I prefer the contrast here than that of the first image. BUT - I agree with your original selection; I like the first image better, overall.

I think I can imagine the room; is there a long line of seamstresses? Under horrible fluorescent lighting, maybe? A shot of that would indeed convey "dreary" to me. This second shot still doesn't - not that there is anything wrong with it, but it's a tiny slice from the whole room. And the whole room is what is giving you that feeling, I'm guessing.

I'd like to see it; wish they'd let you do more and show their faces. ;) No doubt you tried to get them to change their minds.

Since you work there, and have obviously been studying them for awhile and want to capture the feel of the place, how else do you think you could convey it? Do they all leave together at the end of the day, where you could shoot them inconspicuously as they file out the door (backs to you)? Would they mind if you shot from the end of the line, getting their faces only from the side, bent over their work, maybe including the lights...? Could you convey the sense of dreary without them at all, maybe the empty room....? Etc, etc....

I think focusing on her hands and job aswell as maybe cutting out a little headroom on the sewing mechine and the pic would be perfect in my eyes.....,
I dont think having her shoulder or head in the photo would make it any more dreary...

the job at hand is dreary enough...
get closer..
just my opinion

Sorry but I have to agree it does not convey dreariness to me at all, but it does show the feeling of labour, the first one does this best. the pics are excellently taken, as said above a little less of the machine and more of the hands may work better. Nothing wrong with your picture taking abilities thats for sure. To tell the story of the dreariness of the scene, perhaps a look at the overall shop with every one with there heads down. Ernie

Most reactions

New Topics

Back