Fade to black

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I developed a roll of b&w film last night. I followed the procedure that I've been using (from memory).

After I rinsed the film and viewed it, I saw that about 1/2 of the roll was black. There appeared to be a graduated fade to black from the first few frames to the last.

If I had to guess I would say that some light got in the camera some how. However, this has never happened before using this camera ( a rolleiflex TLR).

Also, I was pretty carefull when I unloaded the film from the camera - it was very dark in the room.

Also, the film had traveled to and from Arizona by plane so it went through the normal security x-ray scanners. But, they always say that unless the film is a very fast - high speed film, the scanning should not be a problem.

Film: Ilford Delta Pro 400
Developer: HC-110 soln' B
Kodak Stop solution
Kodak Rapid Fix.

The temp of the developer was about 72 F and the time was 5 minutes

I agitated for the first 30 seconds and then for 5 seconds every 30 seconds.
I agitated using a figure 8 method, like mixing a martini in a shaker (sort of). I gave the canister a sharp rap on the counter after every agitation to remove air bubbles.

I kept the stop in for 1 full minute agitating for the first 30 seconds.

I used the fixer the same way I used the developer - 5 minutes, with the same agitation method.

I rinsed for 5 minutes and used that soapy stuff for about 1 or 2 minutes before hanging the negatives.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Something is very wrong. This time, the film was 400 TX but it turned out the same. The first few frame are OK but then it fades to black!!!
So, the film is completely opaque (ie. black) for the last 3 or 4 frames. This is 120 so there are only about 12 frames since I'm using a 2.5 x 2.5 (Rolleifilex) format. What in the Sam Hill is going on! I also noticed the right edge of the film is dark all the way through so I can hardly see the number of the frames! If this happens on the third roll, I'm going to assume my camera is screwed up. How can the developing process cause this?

I AM A COMPLETE IDIOT! I left out the stem of my developing tank! You see, I had my tank and reels and stuff in a box in the basement. It's where I kept it. But, some cleaning ladies "organized" the basement and ....well I won't take up any more of your time with my problems. But at least I know why this was happening now. Light was getting in the developing tank!

This is what happens when you "dabble" and/or your life is so hectic that months go by between film developing sessions! I must blame it on disorganization and my own carelessness as well.

I'm not sure I get the "hiccup" reference but thanks for responding anyway.
I guess this has taught me that I need to carve out a better space in which to store my photography stuff. It's been kind of all over the place in the basement and that was not a problem until someone else entered the equation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back