Fall Family photos C&C please!

HL45

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some constructive critique! Please be harsh if needed, I can take it :)

Shot midday, 5D Mark III, EF 70-200 f/2.8 shooting f/3.2. Use the 430 EX II with Gary Fong lightsphere for fill.... and yes it was on camera :meh:

Edited in LR5, basic editing plus some heavy de-clarify, de-sharpen on the background in some shots.

Thanks for any replies!

Mitch

Howards_Fall_2013-107 by mtw2118, on Flickr

Howards_Fall_2013-122 by mtw2118, on Flickr

Howards_Fall_2013-134 by mtw2118, on Flickr

Howards_Fall_2013-14 by mtw2118, on Flickr

I think these are too, too bright and wb off

If mine look too dark to you, I think your monitor is off and needs calibration.

Making it darker unfortunately reveals the tell-tale overhead light problem where the eye sockets are darker and the tops of cheeks bright.
reflector would help here.

Bringing up the black point darkens the woods and gives a good background, IMO.

$10790959974_bf065e501e_bllll.jpg

$10804870205_261792d895_bllll.jpg

Yes, 1,3,4 are decidedly too bright on the faces. The dad looks a bit slumped over in most of these shots; a bit of posing help would have rendered him with better, more-upright posture and body presentation. The re-edits by The_Traveler look much more appealing in terms of on-screen brightness.

I think these are too, too bright and wb off

If mine look too dark to you, I think your monitor is off and needs calibration.

Making it darker unfortunately reveals the tell-tale overhead light problem where the eye sockets are darker and the tops of cheeks bright.
reflector would help here.

Bringing up the black point darkens the woods and gives a good background, IMO.
Thanks Lew, What did you set the WB to? I like your edits. When you say overhead light are you taking about the ambient or the flash.
Thanks for your time. :)

Derrel, Thanks for the reply. I did notice that in my editing. Think back to the shoot I was focused on the child most of the time.

HL,

First I have no idea about the WB.
I diddle with things until they look right. (sorry)

I think the issue here is that the fill flash isn't erasing the raccoon eyes so the flash needs to be brighter in relationship to the sun, but the overall exposure needs to drop some.

(Remember I am speaking from an area of complete ignorance, never using flash myself, but just looking at your pictures. Someone with more technical knowledge and experience should be your guide not me. Sorry :wink:)

HL,

First I have no idea about the WB.
I diddle with things until they look right. (sorry)

I think the issue here is that the fill flash isn't erasing the raccoon eyes so the flash needs to be brighter in relationship to the sun, but the overall exposure needs to drop some.

(Remember I am speaking from an area of complete ignorance, never using flash myself, but just looking at your pictures. Someone with more technical knowledge and experience should be your guide not me. Sorry :wink:)
Thanks again, what you've posted seems to make sense to me even though you never used a flash. ;)

Thanks again, what you've posted seems to make sense to me even though you never used a flash. ;)

Yeah, I'm working my way up to being a Craigslist natural light wedding photographer. :wink:
:lol: I'm wishing I didn't take the flash on this one. Hopefully with enough practice I'll know when and how to use it. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back