Family portrait attempts

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I was playing around with attempting some portraits today. It was hardly ideal conditions. The lighting was just table lamps and overhead lights, as I have yet to break down and actually pay for good lighting for photography. Also, I shot in manual mode, but it was triggered by remote, so I kinda just had to guess where the frame was, hence the 'squeezed' feel of the three of us.

All excuses aside, what do you think? How can I improve?

IMGP2557websize.jpg

IMGP2605websize.jpg

IMGP2626websize.jpg

IMGP2663websize.jpg

I think you did a GREAT job...just concerned about some shadows....if you
will let me...send me one of them and I'll try something for you....beautiful
family by the way.

Mary Heinz
FamilyTies Photography
www.pics-ties.com
:wink:

I think you did well under those conditions, but to improve the shots I really think you need more control over the lighting. There are places that are blown out and others that are in deep shadow.

markc said:
I think you did well under those conditions, but to improve the shots I really think you need more control over the lighting. There are places that are blown out and others that are in deep shadow.

I agree with the above. I haven't been able to afford lights yet either, so when I can't use natural light, I use these that I got at the Hardware store:

http://alwaysphotographing.com/apV1/a_Techniques/glass photography/WorkLight.jpg

It's a bit harsh as is, so I went to the fabric store and got a peice of the type of fabric wedding veils are made of..I rig it up so it hangs in front of it (not touching it, or it will burn) to diffuse it...I've gotten some decent pictures that way.

core_17 said:
I agree with the above. I haven't been able to afford lights yet either, so when I can't use natural light, I use these that I got at the Hardware store:

http://alwaysphotographing.com/apV1/a_Techniques/glass%20photography/WorkLight.jpg

It's a bit harsh as is, so I went to the fabric store and got a peice of the type of fabric wedding veils are made of..I rig it up so it hangs in front of it (not touching it, or it will burn) to diffuse it...I've gotten some decent pictures that way.

Hey Core, I've been using similar lights in my "studio" until I can afford real ones. Would you mind taking a picture of how you have that fabric set up in front of the light? I've been trying to figure out a way to do something similar without starting a fire :wink: so I'd love to see the way you did it.
Thanks!
-April

Most reactions

New Topics

Back