Family pressure

If you aren't certain [confident] that you want to get into the business, don't. Simple as. :)
Don't let others pressure you into anything, unless you already know it's important and you're only putting it off for trivial reasons. If you have valid reasons not to, then don't worry about it.

When they ask you to go into business ask them if they want to give you ten grand as startup money. Then remind them you can't gaurentee they will get there money back. That might quiet them up a bit.

Haha I like that! I may use that one!

I'm in the same boat as you, family is always asking when I'm going to start "my" photography business.... I just tell them I'm not where I want to be photography wise and really not ready to deal with the business side of my hobby at all. I'm very happy to take pictures of my own kids and every now and then a friends, no pressure - just fun.

Actually I'm not sure if I will ever hang a shingle and call myself a pro, at this time it's not in my plans.

Oh boy I just had to share - I brought my new Nikon d90 to an Easter party - all afternoon the comments were comming 'when are you starting a business blah blah' then my husbands 83 year old grandma says 'do you even want to go into business?' I said 'nope' she said 'good, have fun with your hobby'. Love her!!

Photography as a hobby is a completely different proposition to photography as a business. It is a lot more fun for a start :)

It is amusing how people see even an entry level DSLR (which cost less than one professional level lens) and assume you are ready to go pro!

Enjoy your hobby - I'm with grandma.

Lots of good advice here. You just gotta go with your heart. I know that sounds incredibly lame but it's true. You keep listening to what others think and you'll never be happy. It's not about business or making money; it's about loving what you do. And if you love taking pictures and you're passionate enough about it then you'll be successful. Starting a business isn't the easiest thing. Just don't wait around too long hoping your business will fall in your lap. You gotta go out and get it. Start off small by taking pictures of people. See what they think. Most people will be willing to pay for them if their good enough.

Ha! I get this too and I only have an iPhone to shoot with at the moment. My mother is a little crazy though.

Oh boy I just had to share - I brought my new Nikon d90 to an Easter party - all afternoon the comments were comming 'when are you starting a business blah blah' then my husbands 83 year old grandma says 'do you even want to go into business?' I said 'nope' she said 'good, have fun with your hobby'. Love her!!

Grandmas know best!

GregB said:
Photography as a hobby is a completely different proposition to photography as a business. It is a lot more fun for a start :)

It is amusing how people see even an entry level DSLR (which cost less than one professional level lens) and assume you are ready to go pro!

Enjoy your hobby - I'm with grandma.

Seriously, It's funny because one relative told me like three times 'that's an awfully small lens for such a high end camera' lol. 1st d90=only slightly above entry level, 2nd the good old Nifty Fiftyis my BFF!

Really can't understand why so many people feel the need to charge money for inferior product....and even a harder time understanding why someone would pay them for it....hmmmmmmmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmm... isn't that a great description of the fast food industry? Both from the seller and buyer sides :lmao:

The same statement applies to gillette's modern shaving tools.

Just keep practicing and tell them you're gaining credibility so that if/when you do want to do it professionally you will have a portfolio worth looking at and lots of positive reviews so that you will have a much better chance of actually being successful.

Perhaps you could show some examples of other people's work to your family and explain that it's a goal for you to get your work to that level, and once you do you might consider charging people.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back