Family Session at the Ski Resort

twocolor

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.twocolorphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Super freezing cold day! Every shot had to count! After 20 minutes the kids were DONE!

6685374775_15cbc4460a_z.jpg

6685334559_7a23340901_z.jpg

6685334049_bfd1b50825_z.jpg

6685332107_487e595a5d_z.jpg

6685330767_156ceaab24_z.jpg

6685329469_389de64c73_z.jpg

1. Click on the bar to see the image in the larger size-it's not nearly that soft. What bothers me is that it's a ski session, but dad and the boy appear to be wearing no coats. Not a big deal, but it doesn't flow to me. It's well exposed, color is great. Focus looks sharp when you click the bar. When you crop to print any size the top of the lift is going to cut off totally and the bars will lead off the page. Is it a big deal? nope, just something to be aware of. The poles of the rest of the lift are throwing me cuz they tilt and I don't care for the busy mess from them, but that's probably a personal thing. It's a gorgeous image.

2. Click the bar again-it's sharp. This one is a print problem. You have filled the frame and you are most definitely going to have to cut her feet off for nearly any size print. They're important. Again it's well exposed, color is great and focus is sharp. I love the wind blown hair and the natural relaxed smiles here. Beautiful.

3. I am not in love with this image. Dad looks like wants to be holding that J like he wants beat with a 2x4. The lift shack at the back is a draw as well as the other green part of the mountain behind. Wish it had been shot on full snow too. The grass kinda kills the feel. Easy edit out there. It's too small for my old eyes to see focus, but looks perfect at this size as does the color and exposure.

4. MAY be a crop issue depending on the size. you really need to remember to leave yourself that extra room "just in case." The crop on the little guy's hands is unfortunate here. Color, focus and exposure are great. The lift growing out of dad's hair I'd edit out. As well as that pole or whatever to the right side above the girl. Gorgeous portrait.

5 I wish it were landscape. Click bar-its perfectly focused and sharp. The foreshortening on the girl and her boots being forward have made them HUGE. Color, exposure and focus are great.

6. Beautiful. WIsh you hadn't crpped her arm there, but this is just plain a beautiful shot. Her teeth are startlingly perfect white and I am jealous!!!

1. Click on the bar to see the image in the larger size-it's not nearly that soft. What bothers me is that it's a ski session, but dad and the boy appear to be wearing no coats. Not a big deal, but it doesn't flow to me. It's well exposed, color is great. Focus looks sharp when you click the bar. When you crop to print any size the top of the lift is going to cut off totally and the bars will lead off the page. Is it a big deal? nope, just something to be aware of. The poles of the rest of the lift are throwing me cuz they tilt and I don't care for the busy mess from them, but that's probably a personal thing. It's a gorgeous image.

2. Click the bar again-it's sharp. This one is a print problem. You have filled the frame and you are most definitely going to have to cut her feet off for nearly any size print. They're important. Again it's well exposed, color is great and focus is sharp. I love the wind blown hair and the natural relaxed smiles here. Beautiful.

3. I am not in love with this image. Dad looks like wants to be holding that J like he wants beat with a 2x4. The lift shack at the back is a draw as well as the other green part of the mountain behind. Wish it had been shot on full snow too. The grass kinda kills the feel. Easy edit out there. It's too small for my old eyes to see focus, but looks perfect at this size as does the color and exposure.

4. MAY be a crop issue depending on the size. you really need to remember to leave yourself that extra room "just in case." The crop on the little guy's hands is unfortunate here. Color, focus and exposure are great. The lift growing out of dad's hair I'd edit out. As well as that pole or whatever to the right side above the girl. Gorgeous portrait.

5 I wish it were landscape. Click bar-its perfectly focused and sharp. The foreshortening on the girl and her boots being forward have made them HUGE. Color, exposure and focus are great.

6. Beautiful. WIsh you hadn't crpped her arm there, but this is just plain a beautiful shot. Her teeth are startlingly perfect white and I am jealous!!!

Thank you for your honest, and thoughtful critique. Mom dressed the family, so I didn't really have a say in the fact that the boys weren't wearing coats. The family shots were done for a Christmas card and so my cropping wasn't as big of an issue.

On 3, dad seriously wasn't in love with holding that J! It was freezing cold and mom had a cute idea she had planned for (the JOY), he wasn't too thrilled!

I don't want to photoshop too much out of the ski lift behind them, I'm afraid it will take away from their the idea they were going for.

Thanks again for the critique! I do need to be more careful about being to close to the subject and not leaving room for cropping, or just plain cropping body parts!

MLeeK said:
1.What bothers me is that it's a ski session, but dad and the boy appear to be wearing no coats. Not a big deal, but it doesn't flow to me.

People who live in Utah are tougher than those who live in warmer climates...look at the mother...she's wearing a cute, frilly little short DRESS, albeit with leggings and leg warmers...but it's still a dress...not one of the New York snowsuits that make you look like you're going to head out ice fishing or snowmobile riding!! :lol:

Hell, I am taking my snowmobile coat with me when I go to Arizona this spring! To hell with the cold! LOL!

Hell, I am taking my snowmobile coat with me when I go to Arizona this spring! To hell with the cold! LOL!

You guys are too funny!! I just went to the mailbox in my bare feet! Snow on the ground! Granted, when it's time for a good snowmobile ride, we do suit up pretty dang good!!!

You guys are too funny!! I just went to the mailbox in my bare feet! Snow on the ground! Granted, when it's time for a good snowmobile ride, we do suit up pretty dang good!!!

I'm a Southern girl--I had to go put a coat on just to look at these pictures. :lmao:
Beautiful! MLeek's C&C was spot-on, and I really have nothing to add. Except: if the kids were done after 20 minutes, then I presume that first photo was taken about 22 minutes into the shoot? Because the boy looks like he is Over. It. with a capital O.

I'm a Southern girl--I had to go put a coat on just to look at these pictures. :lmao:
Beautiful! MLeek's C&C was spot-on, and I really have nothing to add. Except: if the kids were done after 20 minutes, then I presume that first photo was taken about 22 minutes into the shoot? Because the boy looks like he is Over. It. with a capital O.

He (and his dad) were both OVER IT the moment we stepped from the car!!! It was bitterly cold, and the wind was blowing making the wind chill near 10 degrees. I have hand warmers I bring with me for the kids to play with in between their individual portraits. That got the little boy happy enough to get a few good smiles out of him. Plus, mom had a bag of candy that helped tremendously!

Most reactions

Back