Family shot - what should I print it on?

Garasaki

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Got this shot of my kids a few weeks ago. It, of course, has sentimental value for me and I'd like to print it to hang above the couch.

What medium do you viewers suggest for it? Canvas, metal, or framed paper print?

all 3 by John Bixler, on Flickr

ok... I'm going to be honest... but I'm not being mean. I know and understand the sentimental value... I'm a mom... I get it. BUT because the girl in the middle has her hand blocking her eye... that makes the picture not as good as it could have been. SO... having said that.... I'd just print it on regular photo paper and put it in a cheap frame. You will eventually get a better picture that will warrant spending the money on metal, canvas or custom framing. For the record, I'm a huge fan of metal prints. If you want to upgrade it a little, try luster or metallic paper.

Paper. If it was a little more formal, then canvas.

Why is this shot sentimental? (If you can talk about it, that is.)

I like fine art canvas (As in: REAL fine-art canvas from a reputable lab, NOT Wal-mart or similar "fine art") for works like this.

It's not so much the picture that is sentimental, I guess, but it is I think the only shoot I have of all 3 of my kids where there isn't one of them blinking, or looking the other way, or some such.

It's certainly not a perfect picture (my son, who is usually incredibly photogenic, looks unusually serious, and my oldest daughter has loose hair everywhere, and I'd love to have had my flash on to provide some fill flash), but to me it's a great reminder of their personalities and the time I spend with them. I'm going through a divorce and would like this as a focus point for my new house. Something I can look at every time I walk into and out of my front door and bring a smile to my face.

I think the picture and the expressions are nice. Its just that hand in the face that kind of splits the kids in half. If its important enough to you to warrant the cost... then metal is the way to go. If you like it but don't want to spend as much for a large metal print, Pearl Paper is beautiful and so is metallic paper. Both would look nice hanging in a department store frame on the wall.

That's what I was wondering. If you get to spend more time with them (I hope you do), keep on taking photos, as I think you will eventually get an even better photo.

Trying not to be hyper-critical.

I find the critical feedback to be very useful, so don't feel like you have to hold back.

It helps me grow as a photographer, which is great. I've grown a lot already by listening to the feedback here, give to both myself and to others.

One thing about her hand placement, is that it draws my eye to her visible eye. It's almost as if she's demanding your attention go to her eye, which I think I managed to get as the focus point (of the camera). I think it would be interesting to see the same photo with her arm doing something different - I'd be curious how different the photo "feels".

I agree that it draws your eye to her visible eye... she is the primary focus of the group. It kind of cuts off your older daughter from view. I see the middle child first and the other two are secondary.

Split the difference between paper and canvas; see if you can get it on a nice textured (like watercolor) paper.

I like the hand.
Better if it were a finger. :barbershop_quartet_member:

Split the difference between paper and canvas; see if you can get it on a nice textured (like watercolor) paper.

I like the hand.
Better if it were a finger. :barbershop_quartet_member:

Heh, that would have been cool too. This way though it reminds me of a kid pretending they're shooting off a rocket ship or airplane.

It's also just different and more genuine than a photo of the three of them cheesing.

I like the pic, FWIW. I find the fence post more distracting than the hand. I've also only printed on canvas and liked it. Want to try the other 2 options soon.

Hi all,

Got this shot of my kids a few weeks ago. It, of course, has sentimental value for me and I'd like to print it to hang above the couch.

What medium do you viewers suggest for it? Canvas, metal, or framed paper print?

all 3 by John Bixler, on Flickr

Your kids are adorable. I think a major crop would make this a better shot and focus more on the kids too. I'd crop it to ratio, from the lower right hand corner. It minimizes the sky, but more importantly, gets rid of the dead space on the left, and the fence post. None of that adds anything to the image.

I third the fence post crop idea. Was the first thing I saw.

I'd go a canvas, just not a super expensive one. I think with the kids in the corner it would look good.

And this brings up a really good point for us photographers. A photo doesn't have to be perfect. Emotional attachment is far more important. You are selling the memory every bit as much as the art.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back