fashion/portrait work......C&C please

jdphotographer2091

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this was a very spur-of-the-moment thing.
let me know what u think.....
i see that the pictures are out of focus, but i used my autofocus and set it to focus on his eyes and it still turned out out of focus.
what should i do to get those eyes crisp.

1-2.jpg

11-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

wow....
so no comments yet... i guess they are that bad.

3rd is out of focus and '2 the blue crates a bit distracting. But shooting people can always be a bit tricky. Keep it up and in time you will get it right.

Use single shot focus with the centre focus point. Aim at eyes, wait for it to lock, then pan and shoot.

Using a shorter DOF (larger aperature) also makes it seem the eyes are more crisp when you don't have pro level glass.

3 its out of focus like they said and with the other too I would Blur out more the background and darken a lil bit. but im no pro, but thats what i would do.

thanks for the comments...
im not goin to lie though. im kinda discouraged because it seems like i can never get it right. i am only 16, but i want to go to college for this and eventually get a job doing fashion work for like magazines, but it seems like i will never be good enough....

thanks for the comments...
im not goin to lie though. im kinda discouraged because it seems like i can never get it right. i am only 16, but i want to go to college for this and eventually get a job doing fashion work for like magazines, but it seems like i will never be good enough....

Don't be frustrated. Good photography takes time and you'll get there. It looks like you shot these in some bright sunshine... that's really a big no no. It made your subject squint and cast harsh shadows on him. Next time find some shade, or better still, wait for an overcast day.

Also, did you do any post processing work? Using photoshop willl be key in your photog career. Someone said it on here before:
"The difference between a 2000/day photog and a 6000/day photog is the post processing"

I agree, I think the look good and just need to be able to make a better connection with your subject by getting him out of direct sunlight. Overall good.

well thanks for the encouragement....
im not goin to stop shooting, but i sometimes get a little discouraged.
ive had photographers tell me that i have talent, but sometimes i get down.......haha

i went ahead and darkened it a lil bit for you.. hope you dont mind..

triedtofix.jpg

I like your composition but they just seem like snapshots to me. Platano made a nice example of what your photos COULD look like with some PP. I like how you used the black and red milk crates as a backdrop for his red and black attire. You've got the eye, now practice practice practice.

I would advise a reflector or fill flash, the shadow cutting the nose is a big no-no in fasion and portrait work.

I like your composition but they just seem like snapshots to me. Platano made a nice example of what your photos COULD look like with some PP. I like how you used the black and red milk crates as a backdrop for his red and black attire. You've got the eye, now practice practice practice.

i dont understand how they look like snapshots though.
to me u can tell they r not just "snapshots"

Most reactions

Back