I have been to a fashion workshop
and here is a couple of photos. This is my first attempt in a studio with
strobes. C&C is much appriciated.

Best
regards,

AAH

Adriana.jpg

Rania.jpg

I like the second one :) The shadow is very distracting in the first one.

thank you for the comment :) I am not a bog fan of shadows also.. but we were required to get the shadows in as per the instructor's instructions :) He said the new generation of fashion photography always keep shadows and are requested to do so.. Thank you again :)

thank you for the comment :) I am not a bog fan of shadows also.. but we were required to get the shadows in as per the instructor's instructions :) He said the new generation of fashion photography always keep shadows and are requested to do so.. Thank you again :)

Did your instructor happen to mention why you would want to create an area of high contrast that draws attention away from the subject? I cannot get away from the shadow, especially the diamond shape that echos the actual angle created by the model's elbow. Even the saturation in the red dress makes it hard to ignore the shadow elements. Visually and compositionally, I am surprised you would be told to do this.

I am not sure why the instructor told you to keep and/or make that shadow but it is HIGHLY distracting. Maybe it was to show what not to do? If you got rid of that shadow and lit up the back leg behind her front knee the photo would be really great. As it sits now it is just very distracting.

Number two is very good. Exposure, focus looks good. The only thing I would do with this one is try to light the right side of her face a little (her right our left as we look at it). That dark area is a bit distracting as the rest is so well lit.

C&C per req:

1. I like the shot, but, as the rest have said, the shadow kills it.

2. I like this shot better, but you're just a little over-exposed; you've lost most of the detail in the white of her pearls and the flower in her hair. In fairness, this is a REALLY tought shot to light properly, and you've done well. I would suggest a reflector camera left to reduce the shadow on the right side of her face, and some catchlights in the eyes might help too.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Though the shadow is somewhat distracting in #1, I like the lighting better than #2. I'm not a big fan of the blown white back ground look. #2 is still a very nice shot, but I agree with John, it's very slightly over exposed, and a bit more light on the right side of her face would have been nice. Over all, nice shots, nice models. :thumbup:

Did your instructor happen to mention why you would want to create an area of high contrast that draws attention away from the subject? I cannot get away from the shadow, especially the diamond shape that echos the actual angle created by the model's elbow. Even the saturation in the red dress makes it hard to ignore the shadow elements. Visually and compositionally, I am surprised you would be told to do this.

I am not sure why the instructor told you to keep and/or make that shadow but it is HIGHLY distracting. Maybe it was to show what not to do? If you got rid of that shadow and lit up the back leg behind her front knee the photo would be really great. As it sits now it is just very distracting.

Number two is very good. Exposure, focus looks good. The only thing I would do with this one is try to light the right side of her face a little (her right our left as we look at it). That dark area is a bit distracting as the rest is so well lit.

oldmacman and johnh2005, Thank you for the comments.. I can't say I disagree with you it is distracting! But I quote from the instructor " now directors ask for shadows, studio shots without shadows is the old way"!!! I was kind of disagreeing when he said it but I thought he knows better. Apparently, it shouldn't be so as it was not pleasing for my eyes nor yours. Will take care of in the future, thank you again..

C&C per req:

1. I like the shot, but, as the rest have said, the shadow kills it.

2. I like this shot better, but you're just a little over-exposed; you've lost most of the detail in the white of her pearls and the flower in her hair. In fairness, this is a REALLY tought shot to light properly, and you've done well. I would suggest a reflector camera left to reduce the shadow on the right side of her face, and some catchlights in the eyes might help too.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Thank you for the constructive critique.. your notes will be taken in consideration in the next session.

Though the shadow is somewhat distracting in #1, I like the lighting better than #2. I'm not a big fan of the blown white back ground look. #2 is still a very nice shot, but I agree with John, it's very slightly over exposed, and a bit more light on the right side of her face would have been nice. Over all, nice shots, nice models. :thumbup:

Thank you :) you guys encouraged me to post a couple more.. will do now..

Number 3 I like a LOT. The lighter area in the upper right, her face, the dark clothes and then the darker area in the image draw your eyes across the whole image without distracting from the model. The only unflattering thing I will say is that I wish the whole "boa" like thing was in the shot. The edges cut off seem like they would be better if it were all in the shot. Also the area under the "boa" looks a little odd. This is one time I think I horizontal orientation would work for a portrait. Very very nice shot though!

I like 4 a lot as well. The color is great with her skin complexion. Only gripes here is the light on her left is very strong and casts a shadow across the face. A little bit of fill light on the dark side would have been nice.

I think overall you are doing a fantastic job! (Much, much, much better than I could have possibly done!) Just keep an eye on these small details!

Number 3 I like a LOT. The lighter area in the upper right, her face, the dark clothes and then the darker area in the image draw your eyes across the whole image without distracting from the model. The only unflattering thing I will say is that I wish the whole "boa" like thing was in the shot. The edges cut off seem like they would be better if it were all in the shot. Also the area under the "boa" looks a little odd. This is one time I think I horizontal orientation would work for a portrait. Very very nice shot though!

I like 4 a lot as well. The color is great with her skin complexion. Only gripes here is the light on her left is very strong and casts a shadow across the face. A little bit of fill light on the dark side would have been nice.

I think overall you are doing a fantastic job! (Much, much, much better than I could have possibly done!) Just keep an eye on these small details!

Thanks alot.. Me too I was sad that it was cut off but I had the 50mm on and that is the best I could get that time..

I want to buy the canon 24-70 2.8 or a lighting kit still confused what to invest in first.. although I am leaning towards the lens.. any recommendations will be much appriciated.

Thanks again..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back