Favorite Lens

I used my Canon EF S 85mm 1.8 and the Canon EF 50 1.8 II for portraits. I love the bokeh and also very sharp.

I am planning to get a tamron 18-50 or a sigma for walk around lens.

I have some Canon EOS lenses, but also use manual focus lenses with AF-confirm adapters. My favorite lenses are some of these.

If I was on a deserted island and could only have one lens it would be my vintage Vivitar Series 1 90mm f2.5 VMC Macro lens (made by Tokina). The sharpest lens I have found (you can even do 200% wide open - crazy resolution), gorgeous 3D effect due to its very natural out of focus (bokeh - has a nickname of Bokina), fantastic build quality, smooth operation, etc. I have it in Nikon mount, but don't have the 1:1 adapter it had (got it used at a pawn shop in Maine for $75). I have to have mine serviced as it doesn't open all the way anymore (I dropped my 7D on a full extended tripod and it landed lens face down (had to grind the filter off). I am lookin for another, but they are not very common and are now commanding some real dollars now (darn easy to find information of the internet - supposed to be a secret for me!!)

As for portraits on my APS-C Canon 7D (above, but a bit long with the crop), Sears 55mm f1.4 made by Tomioka - sharp with good contrast even wide open and also very nice out of focus. There were several OEM versions of this lens GAF, Sears, Revuenon, Rikenon, Yashinon, etc.

Most reactions

Back