FE black dot on viewfinder... HELP!

aaronchio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I just got a cheap 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 Nikkor lens, but when i mount it and see through the viewfinder, the circle in the middle is darkened in the bottom (like when you press the DOF previewer) It also makes a little noise when I use the DOF preview lever (when I use the 50mm it doesn't make any noises)

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

This is what the viewfinder looks like:

ielens.JPG

The darkness varies on that little circle, sometimes is on top, sometimes on the bottom, sometimes darker, sometimes lighter...

Somebody told me the lens might be defective, but I just bought it from bhphotovideo.com

Any sugesstions?

Thanks!!

I use a Nikon F with a variety of lenses ranging from a 55mm macro, 50mm normal, and 200mm Telephoto and I get that all the time when the F/ stop is high.

It really doesn't matter in the end, you just get used to it. Never shows anything weird on the film.

Wow that was a quick response, thanks!

Is the little noise normal? Do you hear any action when you press the DOF preview lever as well?

Thanks!

I think it has something to do with low amounts of light coming through the lens in a normally lit area. Thats when I see the darker part of the focusing screen.

My camera doesn't have a preview lever, it's a little button :D

The noise you're hearing is the AI lever on the lens if it's only doing it with certain lenses. Move it with your finger (carefully) and see if it still makes noise while the aperature blades move in and out. If not, it's just rubbing and making noise when the camera is pushing on it during exposure. If it's still making noise, it's something in the lens and may or may not be a problem.

Then again it could also go away after awhile once that particular lens and camera get to know each other and smooth out whatever it is. The latest lens I got for my FM2 did this but broke in after a roll or two.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back