My first DSLR for travel and street photography: D5600 vs D7200 vs EOS 77D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by rsmoraes, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Carry a spare battery. A spare battery is small and easy to carry.

With Nikon, if you want to get a AF or AF-D lens, you are stuck with the heavier D7200, as the lighter D5xxx and D3xxx do not have a body AF motor to drive the AF and AF-D lenses.

Weight can be a major concern. But only you can make that call. When I was younger, I could easily carry a 20 pound camera bag on a 2 week trip. Today, with age and injury, I can't do half of that.
    If you are traveling or going hiking or similar, both weight and bulk becomes a factor.

For travel I switched from a D7200 + 18-140 to a micro 4/3 Olympus EM1 + 12-60. 40+% weight reduction and significant bulk reduction. And the reduction is even more with the lighter/smaller EM10.​

For LOW light photography, get a fast prime, like a 35/1.8 or similar. In LOW light, a fast lens beats a high ISO body almost every time.
    I have a fast prime as a companion to my GP zoom, specifically for use when the light level drops too far.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You have some conflicting requirements that you have to prioritize.
    • #1 (I'm not looking for a camera I could throw on my pocket) and
      #6 (I am feeling a little tempted by the APS-C mirrorless option, I like the idea of having the pancake primes, like the ultra-compact 20mm f/2.8 from Sony, something I could easily throw in my jacket pocket for a bar night).
    • I have a D7200 + 18-140 lens. It is nice, but definitely not compact and easy to carry, and will never fit into a pocket. That is why I got a m4/3 camera, for when I want something smaller.
      • If the older AF and AF-D lenses are not mandatory, you can get a D3500/5600 with a small lens as your "compact" dSLR in the future, to compliment the larger D7200/7500. But I don't think they are pocketable, even in a LARGE pocket.
    • #3 - "Besides, we all know that there is no such thing as a macro 16-300mm f/1.8-4 lens in a compact, something I could easily achieve if I acquired some different lenses for my DSLR or mirrorless along time."
      • This lens does NOT exist for APS-C or FF, and likely never will.
      • A combination of lenses might get you that range, but at a rather expensive price, especially a 300/4.
    • #5 - For LOW light, you need to attack it in two ways:
    • #1 - A camera with decent high ISO performance.
    • #2 - Fast primes to compliment or replace your general purpose zoom. A pro zoom maxes out at f/2.8, and the consumer zooms are slower. Whereas a prime (like the 35/1.8) is at least a stop faster than the pro zoom and several stops faster than consumer zooms.
      • Note: the "cost" of using a fast prime wide open is shallow depth of field.
    • The combination of both of these will do better than only using one method.
    • Stabilization will only compensate for camera movement. It will NOT compensate for subject movement. So at a slow shutter speed, any subject movement will result in a blurred image.
    • Note, the 35/1.8 primes are NOT stabilized lenses.
    • #6 - A mirrorless will drain a battery much faster than a dSLR, so you WILL need to carry more batteries.
    • My EM1 will drain a battery in 4 hours of heavy use, whereas my D7200 will go 2 DAYS. I went on vacation with 3 batteries for my EM1 (should have taken 4) and 2 chargers, and at night I had to charge all 3 batteries in 2 charging shifts. So based on your comment, that may kill the mirrorless camera for you.
    • I do not know how COLD temp will affect how long the battery will run, but that may shorten the battery charge life on the mirrorless even more.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 11:14 AM
  3. rsmoraes

rsmoraes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know, know, I contradicted myself there, my point with the first sentence is: features >> size
    But if I could get a decent camera in a good size, that would be a

My point exactly, you are right when it comes to the 300mm f1.4, too expensive, but I could easily get something like equivalent to:
    • a 28-300mm f3.5-5.6
    • 2 very fast wide primes
    • an ultra-wide such as 14-24mm f2.8
    • a fast macro
    I will be covered for most situations, something I would only be able to achieve with several compacts, which defeats the purpose. Let's suppose I buy all of those over a year and wait for good deals, this would fit nicely into my budget...

1. Exactly, that is why I wanted the best low-light body I could fit into my budget
    2. My lens of choice for the low-light situations would be the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, it is not that expensive, 2 stops slower than the pro-zoom, I'd like something wider for landscapes, but those are just too expensive, one can't have everything...

Thanks for sharing this experience, 4 hours of heavy use is indeed not much, that would definitely kill the mirrorless... Besides that, you're right, the operating temperature is supposed to matter, yesterday we were under -8C (17F)...

BTW, since you mentioned the temperature, what about the handling of a D7200 wearing gloves? Is it "handable"? Are the buttons and commands still usable? Any experiences? I mean, I really don't feel like taking my gloves out when it is below 4C (40F)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was shooting in about 45F last night.
    You can work the D7200 with THIN gloves.
    Glove material must be tight knit. Loose knit catches on the control dials and you can turn the dial without realizing you did. Happened to me a few too many times, and I got rid of that knit glove. I have not found an ideal glove . . . yet.
    Until I do, I remove my right glove when shooting, as I have not found a glove that gives me a good feel of the shutter button. I have been thinking about getting a shooting glove, where the trigger finger is bare, or a soccer glove.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

For the cold temperature battery life issue. I remembered a forum member here mentioned that he kept spare batteries in shirt pockets close to his body to keep them warm. And swap them with the battery in the camera so that the batteries will not drain that fast due to low outdoor temperature.

6. pez

pez Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Pentax KP for "travel and street", with a couple of select lenses- I have two. :05.18-flustered:

7. rsmoraes

rsmoraes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello guys, I thank you very much for all the comments here on my thread.

I have hit the shops last weekend and have had the chance to hold and mess around with some of the models you told me about. I did not find the size or weight of the bigger cameras a problem (I don't know if I would have the same opinion if I was 10 years older, but we'll probably all be using lightweight mirrorless models in 10 years).

I'll probably stick with one of the bigger models since they will provide me the best cost-benefit. Per your suggestion I have looked into it and found some pretty sweet deals on used cameras near where I live, I'll be checking those on the next days...

• Like Like x 1
  8. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The only way that I know of to get a small size camera is to go mirrorless.
    The mirrorbox on a dSLR constrains how small a dSLR can get. The D3500 series is about as small a Nikon dSLR as I know of. But you sacrifice functionality compared to a D7200, to get that small size.
    But going mirrorless runs into the problem of battery performance/life in COLD temp.

There is no FAST macro lens, that I know of. All the macro lenses that I know of are somewhat slow for primes, f/2.8 and slower.

9. rsmoraes

rsmoraes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yes, it's like I said in my last post, I've been handling them on the shops on Sunday and I did not find the big DSLRs like the D7200, D5600, and 80D uncomfortable or extremely heavy or bulky. Of course, I'll not be able to put them on my pocket, but I'm ok to live with the trade-off for now.

And about the macros, I think the faster one in the market today is the Tamron 60mm f/2 Di II LD IF Macro 1:1 SP AF, at least that I know of. It is, however, an APS-C lens, I don't believe there exists anything like it for the big-boys on FF.