Festival, SLRs not allowed

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This Friday there is one of the biggest show this summer for Montreal.
So Friday, I'm going to see Eminem at the Osheaga Festival!

However they do not allow "professional" cameras, which they define as any camera with interchangeable lens.
I actually emailed them to know why they do not allow the SLR breed without a Media Pass in the festival, to which they replied that it was the invited artists that asked that...
I find it's unjustified and since all I own is my D7000 I'm thinking about smuggling it in along with the terrible but "better than nothing" 55-200mm.

Anyone has experience with these types of quests?
If I get "caught", which I highly doubt once I'm inside, what do you think the security would do?
Thanks!

This Friday there is one of the biggest show this summer for Montreal.
So Friday, I'm going to see Eminem at the Osheaga Festival!

However they do not allow "professional" cameras, which they define as any camera with interchangeable lens.
I actually emailed them to know why they do not allow the SLR breed without a Media Pass in the festival, to which they replied that it was the invited artists that asked that...
I find it's unjustified and since all I own is my D7000 I'm thinking about smuggling it in along with the terrible but "better than nothing" 55-200mm.

Anyone has experience with these types of quests?
If I get "caught", which I highly doubt once I'm inside, what do you think the security would do?
Thanks!

Yes, I was at an Owl City concert once, shooting with my D80 and this HUGE security guard yelled at me and said he would have to take my camera because it was "professional equipment." I told him that he could not have it and that I would put it away for the remainder of the evening. Over my dead body would I let him take my camera just so I could be at the concert.

Since when did Canada & the USA become communist countries?
smiley_confused_vraagteken.gif

How is the rule unjustified for you and your changeable lens camera?

Sadly, that's pretty common.

Did you ask them what would be required to obtain a pass? It might be as simple as letting them know in advance, or paying a small fee (...or maybe a large one)...

For a large venue with a well know act, like Eminem, I kinda doubt it would be that easy - but you don't know if you don't ask...

edit
Show you the gate.

Last edited:
When they pat you down just tell the guy you think hes hot and it'll explain the hidden bulge of your camera lens.:lol:

They can ask you to delete the pictures you took before they kick you out.
It's kind of bs but It does fall into the infringement category.
I'm obviously against this stupid rule like you are but on all concert tickets I get it says no professional cameras allowed right on the back of the ticket.
F*** the system!!!

Are you sure about that? From what I understand, they can ask you to leave or not take pictures, but they cannot make you delete your photos.

Are you sure about that? From what I understand, they can ask you to leave or not take pictures, but they cannot make you delete your photos.
They can ask you to do whatever they want to. Whether you are required to comply or not is a different story...

They can ask you to delete them; they can also ask you to jump off a bridge and dance a jig on the head of a pin. You're obligated to do none of them. All they can do is ask you to leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespass (and may suffer a bruise or two in the process).

How do you plan on smuggling in a DSLR??

Any place with Security I've ever been even checks the tiny little zippered pouch in my purse...

Most reactions

Back