What's new

Few of my things

I love the lightening shot, I am a complete novice so no critique. I would however like advice on shooting lightening. Is it absolutely necessary to use a tripod? What are the best settings to use? Many thanks.
 
I love the lightening shot, I am a complete novice so no critique. I would however like advice on shooting lightening. Is it absolutely necessary to use a tripod? What are the best settings to use? Many thanks.
I used a 3 second exposure, so it was absolutely necessary to use a tripod. Having the exposure that long allows more light into the shot so you can actually see the lightning. Also, if you try to go for a fast shutter speed, your finger may not always be speedy enough to catch the lighting ;) When I got this shot, I just sat outside during a storm and continually pressed the shutter release, even if it wasn't lighting. That way if there was an unexpected flash of lightning, I was able to get it. Anyways, that's how I did it, though it's not the only way, and probably not the best way, of getting lightning shots ;)
 
I love the lightening shot, I am a complete novice so no critique. I would however like advice on shooting lightening. Is it absolutely necessary to use a tripod? What are the best settings to use? Many thanks.
I used a 3 second exposure, so it was absolutely necessary to use a tripod. Having the exposure that long allows more light into the shot so you can actually see the lightning. Also, if you try to go for a fast shutter speed, your finger may not always be speedy enough to catch the lighting ;) When I got this shot, I just sat outside during a storm and continually pressed the shutter release, even if it wasn't lighting. That way if there was an unexpected flash of lightning, I was able to get it. Anyways, that's how I did it, though it's not the only way, and probably not the best way, of getting lightning shots ;)


Thank you.
 
I'm really sorry, this is just totally a pet peeve of mine and I'm honestly pointing it out to be helpful:

lightening - the act of increasing the "brightness" of something
lightning - the electricity that comes ripping out of the sky and excites photographers

(no e)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom