Fiery Halloween Portrait

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One from a recent fashion shoot; we took some time to do some concept work as well.

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 3.25.10 PM.jpg

C&C welcome and appreciated.

DGM, I like the concept. Personally I think the flames are a little too far down. This looks like she is on fire instead of producing the flame. Maybe something like at the base of the fingers (knuckle and extending up a little further.

Again, cool idea.

Having spent some time trying to learn how to render fire in PS I can attest how difficult it is to make something that looks so simple, actually look real. Like Ron above, I'd either move the base of the flame up, or distort and dissolve the fingers, into actual flames. Also, there's something about the light on the model that doesn't jive with what I would expect to be the light off the flame.

FYI: great concept!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make some changes.

And gel your light.

Alright, here's another take. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 7.03.13 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 7.05.18 PM.jpg (one without lens flare, one with)

I like the direction you're going better than the original, and prefer the one on the left. I did a quick edit, mainly for explanation. First thing was to remove the wrinkle over the knuckles. Then using the blur tool and dodging I faded the fingers out from the knuckle up. In PS duplicate a layer, then open camera raw filter. set an adjustment brush rather small, set the wb toward blue, then take the exposure way up, add a little white. Then set a new brush right on top of the other make it about 3 times as large. Drop the exposure some, and warm it up some. Set another new brush on top, again larger, dropping the exposure and warming slightly. You can do this as many times as you need. The idea is to create a ball of blue hot in the center that is slightly cooler/warmer as it gets away from the center. Ideally the flames and fingers should merge into one another. I then set a work path to render a flame over the knuckles, using the blue of the center, as a custom flame color on a blank layer. Then transformed it to fit. Then set a new path coming from the thumb and again rendered the flame with the custom color on a new layer, transformed and rotated into place. I think I have a video somewhere on rendering flames, if you need it. Still needs some work but maybe it will give you some ideas.

flame.JPG

Last edited:
Still looks painful. Maybe the flame should be leaving her hand and she could be watching it leave.

Most reactions

Back