FIFA World Cup

Roba

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been watching the opening games from the football ( soccer ) World Cup.
I'm a Nikon user and apart from having a lot of lens envy! I've noticed in the wet games there's a lot of fancy supermarket bags being used to protect the gear!!!
Are they special bags or just regular shopping bags? :wink:

And come on England

Holland did well :) in fact a huge surprise for me that one. Well the Kiwi's aren't it, so I'll go with Holland, why not.

I have two power boat drivers that like to come real close to the river bank when they see me and plant boot on a victory lap. Kent got me twice and 500 and 800 lens don't really like it much ;), so now I hang a towel over the lens barrel just in case and its fast to cover up. I've thought about using glad wrap before today on the body, but a plastic bag, why not.

Danny.

Ermmmm Danny, I've had a bad two days, 1st the All Blacks, now Italy!!
And my 1st reply a Kiwi haha.
IT just looked funny, thousands of $ worth of gear wrapped in plastic bags.

And yes Holland were on fire! And old man Robbin, unstoppable.

Mate, those AB's were darn lucky !! ........ both tests ;) Tell you what, look out for England in the rugby world cup, this could get very interesting.

Both tests were good, and believe it or not. I like a match! Not a thirty point thrashing, whether we win or not!
Lets hope for more of the same this weekend.

I've been watching the opening games from the football ( soccer ) World Cup.
I'm a Nikon user and apart from having a lot of lens envy! I've noticed in the wet games there's a lot of fancy supermarket bags being used to protect the gear!!!
Are they special bags or just regular shopping bags? :wink:

And come on England

I don't know what kind of bags are being used in the areas like Natal that are being totally deluged with rain. But I've used trash bags, a child's coat or parka or raincoat (go to someplace like the Salvation Army and get a cheap one, run the zoom lens through one sleeve and the body and other sleeve go over the body of the camera and your head). And of course you can buy rain sleeves dedicated exactly for this purpose: OP/TECH USA 18" Rainsleeve (Set of 2) 9001132 B&H Photo

And of course, I'm rooting for the USA (in the Group of Death). Netherlands looked fantastic...two of my friends in Holland were almost incoherent when we were trading email during the game...truly stunned and happy. And that's really something...with someone from the Netherlands is really excited, they don't go out and riot or burn cars or make a scene...they just smile a little more.

Bin der, dun dat, eh Scott?

Guess this is when you find out just how good the weather-sealing really is. Seems that every game I've tuned in has a downpour going on, at least during part of the game. And then, there's the humidity... I'd be worrying about the camera holders more than the cameras.

One more thing I saw in the England game was, some poor remotely fired camera behind the goal go flying from a missed shot by Rooney!!
Is there any of the pro's from this forum working there?

JoeW, love the raincoat idea, I will have to try that out.

I was wondering if imagemaker would stop by this thread - in another thread where everyone was talking about what kinds of lens/camera covers they owned/should buy, he posted a very funny response about using green garbage bags. I had been eyeing up an expensive-ish camera cover but after that I stashed a green garbage bag and some heavy duty elastic bands in my bag. LOL.

I was shooting my husband's soccer team on a gloomy day awhile back and it started to rain. I wrapped my rain coat around the camera and got soaking wet.

In the few games I've gotten to see so far, I'll be honest--I haven't noticed the photographers or their cameras.
But just from my own experience, a plastic bag that you have on hand works a lot better than fancy rain gear that you left at home. :D

Rooting for Team USA, knowing the futility of such allegiance. Once they're toast, I'll be cheering on the host team, Brasil.
Pelé was my first soccer "hero," the player that ignited my interest for the game. Even though I didn't play the same position (heck, I didn't even play offense! I was a keeper), I always admired the way that guy could handle a ball!
Hence, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Brasil. Plus, I have some good friends who are missionaries to Brasil and their son is currently living there, so I feel some attachment.

We cheer for the Netherlands here! Becuase, as a Canadian born and bred for generations, Holland is a great country to tie our allegiance to. :) Plus my husband has been to Gerwen, Netherlands, a few times as both a player and a coach for friendly exchange tournaments.

Sm4him, I'm like you, every four years rolls around and England expects!
But never delivers :D

Civchic, at least your in with a shout, especially after thrashing Spain.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back