Fill flash for larger groups..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Could I use my one speedlight for fill light on a group of 8-10 people? If so, how would I position it? I have a 26" soft box and a 45" shoot through umbrella. Which would be better to use? My friend called me in a panic needing pictures today, so I have to use what I have.

Thank you!

Absolutely. I would go with the largest modifier and place it just above head level and just a bit off lens axis. A lot will depend on how you pose the group. My first inclination would be a 2 rows of four in shallow semi-circle and any extras in the centre down on one knee (assuming that's appropriate). You're probably going to need to boost your ISO a bit because you'll want your flash fairly far back (make sure you have a GN calculator or cheat-sheet) in order to avoid sharp fall off and over/under-exposing one of the rows.

Absolutely. I would go with the largest modifier and place it just above head level and just a bit off lens axis. A lot will depend on how you pose the group. My first inclination would be a 2 rows of four in shallow semi-circle and any extras in the centre down on one knee (assuming that's appropriate). You're probably going to need to boost your ISO a bit because you'll want your flash fairly far back (make sure you have a GN calculator or cheat-sheet) in order to avoid sharp fall off and over/under-exposing one of the rows.

I'm pretty new to using flash.. What is a GN calculator? What is it used for?

Thank you!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back