Film camera bargains galore.

fmw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.foodieforums.com
I'm blown away by the prices of Film cameras on Ebay, particularly, medium format. It is almost scary.

I went ahead and bought this one.

645e.jpg

It arrived today. Brand new. A battery had never been installed. The paper packaging between the shutter and the film insert was still there. perfect. Pristine. Operates exactly as it should. $278. It's amazing.

mysteryscribe said:
it looks like that new plastic version... Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think its the only new one they make now isn't it.

Yes it's plastic and very light as a result - lighter than my D50. All the Mamiya 645's have been discontinued except for the AF model. This one is the 645E, the entry level model. It is like the other models except no removable back (120/220 only) and no removable viewfinder and screens (prism AE only.) While they are still available new, they are discontinued. I also found a brand new 45mm wide angle for it which should arrive next week. I'll get a 150mm telephoto to complete the setup.

fmw said:
Yes it's plastic and very light as a result - lighter than my D50. All the Mamiya 645's have been discontinued except for the AF model. This one is the 645E, the entry level model. It is like the other models except no removable back (120/220 only) and no removable viewfinder and screens (prism AE only.) While they are still available new, they are discontinued. I also found a brand new 45mm wide angle for it which should arrive next week. I'll get a 150mm telephoto to complete the setup.
That is a very good camera. They were about $600 until recently.

LWW

LWW said:
That is a very good camera. They were about $600 until recently.

LWW

I'm sure it will be great. I have some experience (all positive) with Mamiya gear. I had a 645 1000S for a few years that was really nicer than this camera and my studio workhorse when I was a commercial photog was the RZ67 which, for my money, outperforms the Hasselblad and even provides more real estate on the film. The RZ lenses are nothing short of incredible.

This little puppy is extremely light and small enough that it really feels more like a 35mm camera than a medium format model. I loaded up some B&W film and I'll shoot some tomorrow with it. It came without a manual or neck strap. My guess is that it was a store display model. I figured out everything without the manual but I will need to find a neck strap for it.

I was not big fan of that cam when my buddy bought it about 3-5 years ago albeit for a whole lot more money for the price you paid I could see definately changing my opinion

WOW great ! ! I would miss the interchangerble back though. But what a cracker. In my opinion the best 645 on the market. and a real workhorse that should do everything you could ever want of it...

fmw said:
when I was a commercial photog was the RZ67 which, for my money, outperforms the Hasselblad and even provides more real estate on the film. The RZ lenses are nothing short of incredible.

Ah but did you ever see anyone lugging an rb at a wedding... I did it is not a pretty sight to see a hundred pound woman after five hours with one in her hands.

mysteryscribe said:
Ah but did you ever see anyone lugging an rb at a wedding... I did it is not a pretty sight to see a hundred pound woman after five hours with one in her hands.

Yes, that's why mine was "studio workhorse." The trunk for the system had wheels on it so you can imagine I carried it only when absolutely necessary. I didn't view it as a hand holdable camera. Mine always went on a tripod.

As to the 100 lb. woman, I guess that's why wedding photographers are so strong! :)

Groupcaptainbonzo said:
WOW great ! ! I would miss the interchangerble back though. But what a cracker. In my opinion the best 645 on the market. and a real workhorse that should do everything you could ever want of it...

I spent some time thinking about interchageable backs when I shopped Ebay. In my commercial days I had several backs for the RZ system. I had 645, 6X6, 6X7, 35mm, Polaroid. What I found, though, was that I rarely needed to change film types during a shoot (aside from Polaroid when I used it.) If I started with Provia, as an example, I would shoot only Provia. Most of the time I just reloaded the same back when I ran out of film. I suppose a fashion photog might make more use of backs than I did since that is a somewhat more intense kind of shooting than I did which was mostly product advertising.

What I discovered was that the Pro TL sells for about $600 or $700 on Ebay. That's a steal for sure. But I couldn't resist this one which was advertised as mint (and indeed it was.) I was surprised when I got it for the price I did. I had bid higher but no one challenged it. My old 645 1000S didn't have removable backs either and it worked fine for me.

I'm an EX commercial shooter. I don't need the sophisticated gear I used in those days. It was nice shooting with RZ's and Cambo view cameras and it still would be but it is hardly necessary for me. This will be fine for the recreational shooter I am now.

I shot my test roll today. Everything functioned as it should. We'll see what the negs look like when I get them on Saturday. I just need to know what AEL means on the shutter speed dial. I've figured out everything else.

fmw said:
I'm sure it will be great. I have some experience (all positive) with Mamiya gear.
I have often thought that if the Japanese would have moved the new tech into MF cameras as quickly as the did 35MM that 35MM may have lost and digital might still be a novelty.

That should be about equal to a 45 +/- MP DSLR.

LWW

I went to pick up the test roll today. They hadn't done it. They said there is so little 120 b&w to do that they take several days to save up enough to run a batch. So I bought some D76 and some fixer and spent about a 1/2 hour going through some old boxes to find enough stuff to develop the roll myself. I was pleased with the test roll. The meter calibration was right on. Right on the money. Spacing between frames was perfectly consistent. All 15 frames were there. The camera is a winner. Here's one shot from the test roll of the glass facade of the College Football Hall of Fame. Ilford Delta 100, f8, 1/125 sec, D76 1:1 for 12 1/2 minutes at 68 degrees.

cfhf.jpg

LWW said:
I have often thought that if the Japanese would have moved the new tech into MF cameras as quickly as the did 35MM that 35MM may have lost and digital might still be a novelty.

That should be about equal to a 45 +/- MP DSLR.

LWW

It is almost criminal, in my opinion. If you want medium format sized digital you either buy a 5 figure digital back or a 5 figure camera. They let that whole end of the industry just go away. You would think Mamiya, at least would have created a solution since they do medium format only. It is pretty strange isn't it?

fmw said:
It is almost criminal, in my opinion. If you want medium format sized digital you either buy a 5 figure digital back or a 5 figure camera. They let that whole end of the industry just go away. You would think Mamiya, at least would have created a solution since they do medium format only. It is pretty strange isn't it?

Not really in my opinion I think the companies are responding to the market for a change. Most people want digital and with high or even medium to high end Like the D200 and Canon eqivalent having 12mp+ why would any company put too much resources into medium format digital. I agree it would be nice to put an affordable digital back on my ETRSI but if the companies have figured out way to make everyone buy a completely new system why in the world would they ever give you a way to use and update your old system.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back