Film camera bargains galore.

I've made the same argument here and others tell me that, given the same number of pixels, a larger sensor provides images.

Also the Mamiya digital camera isn't price competitive with anything. It doesn't compete with old medium format film cameras and it doesn't compete with the 35mm style cameras.

Finally, nobody is required to change to digital. It is purely optional. Why not have the options include the camera your company makes?

JIP said:
Not really in my opinion I think the companies are responding to the market for a change. Most people want digital and with high or even medium to high end Like the D200 and Canon eqivalent having 12mp+ why would any company put too much resources into medium format digital. I agree it would be nice to put an affordable digital back on my ETRSI but if the companies have figured out way to make everyone buy a completely new system why in the world would they ever give you a way to use and update your old system.
My original point was that if in 1990 or so medium format cams started showing up with AF the DSLR might never have became popular.

That 645 wil blow the doors off of the D200 on picture quality.

Not having access to long glass, motor drive, and AF compromises the system in too many other ways to threaten the DSLR however.

LWW

LWW said:
My original point was that if in 1990 or so medium format cams started showing up with AF the DSLR might never have became popular.

That 645 wil blow the doors off of the D200 on picture quality.

Not having access to long glass, motor drive, and AF compromises the system in too many other ways to threaten the DSLR however.

LWW

I think you are wrong digital became popular for alot of reasons one of the most important being convenience. Newspapers started using them right away because they were already printing and laying the papers out digitally anyway, portrait and studio photogs found it easier for retouching and, the public wanted the printing convenience. AF medium format started showing up about the same time digital started getting big and, fro better or worse the stronger of the 2 survived.

JIP said:
I think you are wrong digital became popular for alot of reasons one of the most important being convenience. Newspapers started using them right away because they were already printing and laying the papers out digitally anyway, portrait and studio photogs found it easier for retouching and, the public wanted the printing convenience. AF medium format started showing up about the same time digital started getting big and, fro better or worse the stronger of the 2 survived.

Of course, that's obvious. My point was that the medium format makers simply ignored the digital revolution. My point was that the medium format folks should have embraced it and found a way to make it cost effective so that pros could afford to use their existing cameras with affordable digital backs and buy affordable cameras with larger sensors than those in the 35mm sized cameras. What is criminal to me is that the medium format makers didn't compete effectively with the "35mm" makers like they did in the film days. In the film days you bought medium format for better image quality. The same could be true today if they had gotten together and had affordable sensors developed.

A digital Hasselblad makes wonderful images but very few pro photographers can afford one. I had a wonderful Mamiya RZ system years ago that would have made a wonderful digital camera if I could have bought a digital back for a whole lot less than $20,000. I think you missed my point. We don't really disagree.

I picked up a second Bronica SQ-A body for a pittance of my first one. I have been picking up lenses that I normally would not have purchased if they were not so low now.

I have also be picking up vintage cameras and combining several to make one good one. I now have about a dozen working vintage cameras. And a bunch of shelf sitters. :)

It only took 2 weeks to finish up the system on Ebay. The camera was brand new - never used. I picked up a brand new 45mm f2.8 wide angle. It has never been mounted to camera. I also got an almost new 150mm f3.5 telephoto. It is pristine except for a couple of marks on the lens mount because it had been mounted to a camera. All are N series lenses - the latest from Mamiya. Total cost for the system was $655. I'm still amazed.

645system.jpg

fmw said:
It only took 2 weeks to finish up the system on Ebay. The camera was brand new - never used. I picked up a brand new 45mm f2.8 wide angle. It has never been mounted to camera. I also got an almost new 150mm f3.5 telephoto. It is pristine except for a couple of marks on the lens mount because it had been mounted to a camera. All are N series lenses - the latest from Mamiya. Total cost for the system was $655. I'm still amazed.

Give you $675 for it. :mrgreen:

Now here is one of the mysteries of all time. A man wants a slr because he wants the features flash lens choices and ease of operations.... He buys a dslr because everybody tells him that its the only way to go.

But he shoots no more than twenty shots at a time at the christmas party at home but he wants them to be good ones. so he puts out a least a grand to get what thinks he needs when he could buy a complete set of 35mm slr stuff for a couple of hundred. Do you know how much film you can buy for a thousand dollars. If you just shoot a roll a month or so. And when the grand in film is gone, you dont have to trash the cam for a new and better one.

Nice set up... I am actually looking to buy a second body to go along with my Pro TL... one of these days I will break down and hit the 'bay...

mysteryscribe said:
Now here is one of the mysteries of all time. A man wants a slr because he wants the features flash lens choices and ease of operations.... He buys a dslr because everybody tells him that its the only way to go.

But he shoots no more than twenty shots at a time at the christmas party at home but he wants them to be good ones. so he puts out a least a grand to get what thinks he needs when he could buy a complete set of 35mm slr stuff for a couple of hundred. Do you know how much film you can buy for a thousand dollars. If you just shoot a roll a month or so. And when the grand in film is gone, you dont have to trash the cam for a new and better one.

Hmm... Good point.
I'm currently in a dilema of deciding how much digital I'm willing to go!!!
It's a tough call and I have to keep telling myself that ultimately film will last longer and be more bang for my buck.
But the pressure of the 'digital age' is screaming in my face everyday.
err

BTW.. I'm so jealous of this awesome ebay find.
I'm heading there right now.

neea said:
I'm currently in a dilema of deciding how much digital I'm willing to go!!!
It's a tough call and I have to keep telling myself that ultimately film will last longer and be more bang for my buck.

Don't be lying to yourself. Digital will already last longer and give you more bang for the buck. What the medium format film will do is give you better image quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back