film help

C_lawgik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was doing a photo assignment for my photo class and i was goign to use 3200 film. So after I shot everything i opened my camera and found out i had accidentally put a roll of 100 speed into my camera. I set the ISO manually to 3200 for the film so my question is can i make this film turn out normal or is it a lost cause?

You've underrated the film by 5 stops - for most black and white film ISO 100 film, this is just awful.

Depending on your experience, you may get some images, but the quality will be abysmal either way (unless you were shooting on the much touted Rollei R3 film which copes with 9 stop difference if you believe the promo).

You could maximise your chances of getting some viewable images by developing it yourself:

1. Use a speed processing developer ("energetic" type)
2. Add an accelerator (I might be making this bit up, but it's possible....something like citrazinic
acid or something to suppress the grain)
3. Extend development time accordingly
4. Bin the results and put it down to experience ;)

If you don't develop your own film, you could use the roll as a demo roll. The problem is, even ISO 3200 film is not true ISO 3200 and require something called 'push' processing to bring out the speed. You're doing this to a stock ISO 100 film which isn't designed for this purpose.

Probably not the news you wanted to hear - sorry. Hope it doesn't hurt too much.

You might get an image from your film but...
It's going to be thin, some noticeable base fog and very, very grainy - if you get anything.
The rule of thumb for push-processing b/w is that you shouldn't push more than two stops (three tops) and you have basically attempted to push your film 6 stops.
The standard rule of thumb for the development when pushing is to add 20-25% of the dev time per stop.
IE: DevT1 + 20% = DevT2 for 1 stop
DevT2 + 20% = DevT3 for 2 stops
DevT3 + 20% = DevT4 for 3 stops

and so on. DevT1 is the recommended dev time for the film you are pushing (if you haven't pushed it).
You need to try a forgiving developer like D-76/ID-11. And use it undiluted.
I used to regularly use this method for pushing films 2-3 stops. It works.
But in your case, because you are trying to push the film well beyond it's tollerances there are so many variables that it no one can say with certainty wether the above method will work.
You might as well try it though. You have nothing to loose.
Good luck

If you push it, you will get images. Just very grainy and ultra contrasty. Use d76 undilluted and go about 200% dev time. That would be a good starting point. The film will be thin as Hertz said. The images may come out looking like sand with grain that big, but it would be interesting to see them.

I went to the photo lab at school and the guy just said to forget about it. So i will just shoot another roll. When i have time i will go i and develop it just to see. Thanks for the help

C_lawgik said:
I went to the photo lab at school and the guy just said to forget about it. So i will just shoot another roll. When i have time i will go i and develop it just to see. Thanks for the help

Keep the film in the 'fridge then. Because you have (in technical terms) grossly underexposed your film the latent image will be very weak and unstable having been formed by low energy levels. This means that even as we speak the latent image is degrading - the energy level changes are undoing themselves, so to speak, and the image is fading. The longer you leave it the less image will be there to develop. Refrigeration will minimise this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back