film question

santino

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.artofart.com
ok, here is my question. usually I use Ilford films (Fp4 and Hp5), what about Kodak's TriX? I know that I should stick with just one film type (and I do) but I'd be interested in trying out a roll of TriX.

any comments?

PS I already tried TMax and IMHO it's terrible :D

Used TriX not to long ago. Was pleasantly surprised with it. Very tight grain developed with Ilford chemistry. I liked it better than the TMax I was using.

On TMax. It really is how it's processed and what chemistry. After messing around with times, I was able to get nice results. But it did take some experimenting.

Santino, I use Tri X Pan 320 a lot, mainly developed in plain old D76, and I've always been satisfied with that film/dev combo. :thumbup:

Tri-X is a wonderfully versatile film. I used to like pushing it 2 stops. You loose some tonal gradation but you get a lovely grain structure. Tri-X and D-76 go together like peaches and cream. One of the best film/dev combinations around.
My all-time favourite combination though, and one I reccomend you try, is Plus-X/Microdol-X. I shot over 80% of my B&W with it. It offers so much control with an almost perfect tonal range.

I used to shoot 320 Tri-x at ISO 80, then under-develop by 20-30% (sorry, been a while and can't remember exactly). Anyway... got some really nice, easy to print negs!

I tried the Kodak Tmax once and it was the 1600 ASA version I was quite please wit hthe results (one on the site of the model in the bikers jacket). It was grainey but I kinda wanted that look to it ... sort of raw hard edged view.

kinda worked for me ......

lol I guess Kodak 200 is out of the question? :D That's what I'm trying right now. I'll get better film when I'm positive this camera is good for taking pictures.

Most reactions

Back