Film recommendations

The notion of digital backs for film cameras has been around for at least a decade.

I would love to see someone start to offer digital backs for 35mm film cameras. But naysayers continue to say that it is way to expensive and complex of an undertaking. I personally don't think it would be -- too complex, at least. It would probably still be quite expensive. A digital back would be more complex and difficult to use than a DSLR just by the nature of there being no interconnectivity between the back and the rest of the camera.

It would probably only be practical on a camera with mirror lock-up, since the back will have no way to meter the scene TTL with the mirror down. So this means cameras like the original Canon F-1, Nikon F-series, Pentax KX and LX, Minolta SRT-101, and maybe a handful of others. And everything would have to be strictly manual, not even full-aperture metering. Any back would probably be aperture-priority by default, since it will be recording light values based on lens aperture settings. But it would be aperture-priority suggestions in that it would suggest a shutter speed, which would have to be set manually.

As you can see, I've given it some thought too. I'd love to be able to install a digital back onto my old Canon F-1n or my Nikon F2.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back