FILm vs DIGITAL

Unimaxium said:
Well I think it depends on where you are intending to go with photography. If you're hoping to be professional or just like a semi-pro or good hobbyist, then it might be a good idea to start with film to understand all the basics of photography. It will help to teach you to think carefully about every image, since you only have about 24-36 shots before you have to spend another $3-6 for film. After all, digital photography (especially with DSLRs) is still rooted in the fundamentals of film photography, with aperture, shutter, and ISO ratings working similarly between the two mediums. So if you learn with film, chances are you'll know pretty much all you'll need to expose digital photos well if you change formats. And since you are used to exposing with film, you might still think carefully about your digital images as you capture them. Then, once you learn a little about post-processing digital images, it will be easier to make them better in Photoshop.

I agree with everything that you said. The best digital printer I know (and he truly shines compared to many other folks' efforts) has a long and extensive background in color darkroom printing, particularly the Cibachrome process. But it's hard to overlook the value of basically free experimentation and instant results that digital provides to a beginner. I'm all for people using film; the more people who use it the less likely the manufacturers will discontinue my favorite brands!

i wish this thread would die.

there is no "better" its a personal preference with pros and cons for each.

now die!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back