FILTER ADVICE - trying to capture a certain "look"

Big thank you to those who took the time to be helpful! :thumbsup:

I admire you shooting film, it is certainly not something everyone goes for. Good luck, as I know it takes a LOT more than relying on post processing (as with digital) with film. It's funny that a lot of these old "effects" are what's hip and trendy now, I am sure that there is something out there in the film market to help provide the desired effect...I just have now idea where, as most of that effect is simply a look of old film/washed out film pictures.

I admire you shooting film, it is certainly not something everyone goes for. Good luck, as I know it takes a LOT more than relying on post processing (as with digital) with film. It's funny that a lot of these old "effects" are what's hip and trendy now, I am sure that there is something out there in the film market to help provide the desired effect...I just have now idea where, as most of that effect is simply a look of old film/washed out film pictures.

Thank you. The look of film photography is what got me interested in photography as a child. I've always shot digital, so I figured it's about time to try film. It's definitely going to be more time consuming and difficult, but I look forward to it and am eager to learn. I'm definitely not trying to be "hip and trendy" and get instagram photos. If that were the case, I'd save my time and money and just use instagram lol. The "washed out" color look has always been something I liked, but those damn hipsters had to make it a "thing", hahaha jk :p I was hoping I didn't have to rely on any post editing to achieve that look.

Yeah, I grew up on film, and once I got my first digital, film became more of an on again/off again hobby.

I will admit, I LOVE the look of film. There is something about film that digital just doesn't capture. A lot of my film is now scanned for storage, but, I still love to shoot film every now and again. It certainly teaches you to get thing correct on the camera. While I love the instant "know what you have" of shooting digital, I LOVE and miss the anticipation of developing film.

Good luck with the journey, and kudos because the hipsters use instagram or some crap, if you do it right on film, you have some bragging rights.

As others have stated- it looks like Kodacolor-X that was developed years after the image was taken. Or GAF film developed years ago.

Film that is heated will color-shift, but will take some experimentation to get consistent results. I read this decades ago in a Pop or Modern Photography, early 1970s. SO: people that wanted odd colors in images is nothing new.

You might also be interested in looking at "Cross-Processing", picking up slide film and developing in C-41 chemicals. Slide film is getting ore difficult to find, but old/expired film will work well for experimentation.

Old Polaroid film, color 3-years expired, exhibits color shift. When we get some Spring colors around here, I'll load up the Model 180.

A light brown filter (see: Filters for Photographic Lenses - Creative FIlters - www.cokin.co,.k)

With digital this is a pretty easy edit.

1) use a color-monochrome adjustment (sort of like black & white except ... using a single color rather than 'gray') and adjust the intensity (it desaturates color tending toward the monochrome color or your choice... in this case a medium brown ... think "tea stained".

2) reduce contrast to create a bit of a milky/foggy feel

3) add vignetting

I don't happen to like the look, but it's easy to reproduce.

Easy to reproduce- just leave the exposed roll of film in the glove compartment in the car with the windows rolled up on a Sunny day. "Post Processing"

I'm a longtime film photographer and my photos don't look like those (because I know how to get a proper exposure), but recently I have gotten interested in more experimental films that can be used to achieve a particular look or effect. I think it can work depending on the subject, setting, and what your purpose is.

Lomography recently came out with some film that has a cross processed look but I think it's 110; however they may have something in another format and they do sell expired film. Rollei is marketing film such as Redbird, Nightbird, Blackbird that's redscale, magenta, etc. (I bought some to experiment with but haven't used it yet - just added it to my stash in the fridge.)

I can't say the example posted is the best I've ever seen of more experimental uses of film. Looks like that one might have been shot out in bright midday sun and besides the film being expired it appears that it wasn't exposed properly - but that may have been the intention. I have seen some interesting effects achieved with film that's expired or redscale, infrared, etc. As far as a filter, I don't know what was used but I wouldn't go out and buy one, I'd try some different types of film first, or at least get a filter that's used/vintage.

I don't think it's necessarily hard or time consuming to shoot film, I sent it in or drop it off, not much that's difficult about that! (color film anyway, I have done some B&W darkroom work which of course does take time). If you're into having fun shooting film you might enjoy the Film Photography Project - they have a Flickr group, do podcasts, etc.

SHoot color film. Scan it, then apply the appropriate Lightroom corrections. That image has been digitized, somehow...the easiest way to get that kind of look is to shoot it "straight", scan, then apply the desired filters in post.

This isn't the work of "filters." Don't sucker for the Lomography "Buy this film and get great vintage look prints!" pitch. Ain't gonna happen. Much of their sketchy 35mm film is pricier than Kodak's superb Portra 160/400. Think it through. Osborne's shots were scanned and I remain skeptical the look he got came from anything but post-processing--the cutesy vignette clinches the argument. Old(like 40 year-old) Ektachrome slides sometimes shift and fade like this but not consistently. Same goes for expired film--the antithesis of consistency.

If you want this or any other vintage Instagram "look" from film materials, it's a post-exposure affair, not something baked-in with a particular film material.

Not sure where you are in Canada but buy some fresh Fuji Superia 200 or a fresh store brand 200 film(in all likelihood Fuji anyway) or a Kodak Portra film. Find a reliable processor and get a roll scanned. Get the latest PS Elements and start researching how to get the look you want. To me, cheaper and more satisfying that looking for hit-or-miss solutions.

The F5 is killer, Nikon's last true pro film camera in the long line of the F series going back to 1959.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back