Filter question

For most landscape work the filter factor does not change. You are exposing for the unpolarized light, not the polarized light, so you can use a fixed filter factor.

It's a different matter when you are using the polarizer to shoot through reflections. Then you have to meter through the filter.

A linear polarizer is useful if you are making a variable ND filter. The front filter should be either a linear polarizer or a reversed circular polarizer. Otherwise a linear has no real advantages.

Because of the greater sales of circular polarizers these days, you can usually get a better selection of circular polarizers than linear.

Best,
Helen

Expect to pay $$$ for a good CPL. You are adding another piece of glass in front of your lens, why put a cheap one there?

Brands to have a look at are B+W & Hoya. Definitely get the multicoated.

Agreed, I was too poor to buy a good one and went for a Kenko. The effect is hardly anything to write home about.:thumbdown:

I have been looking for a polarizing filter for my 50mm lens and I have seen that there are a bunch of lenses for sale on ebay that average between 15 and 20 dollars for sets of three filters usually a uv, one for indoor lighting, and the polarized filter. I'm looking for opinions as to whether these filters are ok or just a waste of money.

Plan on spending some real money for a good polarizer. One way to spread the cost across you equipment is to purchase the very best quality polarizer you can get in the largest filter size you need for your largest lens. Then buy stepup rings to use the same filter on your other lenses.

Plan on spending some real money for a good polarizer. One way to spread the cost across you equipment is to purchase the very best quality polarizer you can get in the largest filter size you need for your largest lens. Then buy stepup rings to use the same filter on your other lenses.

I disagree. That solution prevents you from using a lens hood, which is especially important with filters (flat glass as opposed to the rounded surface of a lens).

Most reactions

Back