Filter Questions

Nikon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm looking into getting some filters for Christmas possibly, but I'm not sure what kind to go with. I like the idea of the filter holder system, but then again I find the screw in filters nice as well. So which have you all found to be better, and more importantly more cost efficient. Right now I only have a UV filter, so I am looking at getting a polarizing filter for sure, and then others later on. Also which brands would you suggest. I shoot using a Canon Elan 7ne, w/a 28-105 lens, filter size being 58mm. Alright bring on the suggestions!!!!

I always use good glass filters like Hoya. I prefer them.
There is the Cokin system which I am sure someone will recommend. The filters are acryllic and there were some questions as to the accuracy of their colour transmission. That is, they weren't accurate by professional standards. They scratch easy too.
But filter choice, like everything else in photography, is purely personal. If it does what you want and you're happy with it then it's right for you and no one can tell you you're wrong.

There are many posts here dealing with filters, I'm sure a search will help you get info.

However, here's my opinion on the minimum of the filters you will be needing:

COLOUR PHOTOGRAPHY:

Polarizer (circular)
Warming
Neutral Density

B/W PHOTOGRAPHY:

Polarizer (circular)
Red
Yellow
Green
Neutral Density

That would be a minimum. Hertz is right, Hoya makes good and affordable filters. Try to stay away from obscure names, it'll save you money in the long run. Cokin system is good if you're careful enough in handling the plastic filters, they scratch easily.

Good luck.

When I purchased my circular polariser I was told by the guy at the store (which has a fairly good reputation as far as I know) that the people who make the filter I bought (FOTAR) also make the HOYA filters... (or the other way around)... So therefore they are the same quality, just in different packaging, for around $20 less.

I was able to find a really good circular polarizer (52mm) for 19 bucks... Made by Quantum I think. That is a definite must for any photo kit.

Thanks all! I really like the idea of the Cokin filters, and have been looking around at them for some time on the net, but didn't really know what the quality of them was, and how easily scratched they were. So this gives me some good help. Anyone here prefer the Cokin system over the other filter types???

Most reactions

Back