What's new

Filters and CPLS

Trever1t

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
2,724
Location
San Jose, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now that I've got the Big 3 lenses in my bag I need a really good CPL. One that is good enough to mount on my Pro series lenses.
I also want some ND filters but not sure what brand or stop to get. I was thinking a 4 stop and a 9 stop to get water (sea, river) shots in daylight.

Recommendations please?
 
I have a rodenstock 77mm CPL. Had it for a few years, works just fine. I can't comment on any other kind since its the first and only CPL I bought.

I have 2 ND filters, a 4 stop and a 6 stop equivalent. Got them a few years ago from a personal acquaintance and I can't tell you the brand. The rims have no other markings other than the stop equivalents.
 
OK, well that's a lot of choices!
 
B+W, Singh-Ray, Lee, and Heliopan are the best, and worthy of mounting on any lens.
I would add Hoya (specific filters) HMC and uber coated. Yeah, I know uber isn't a specification, but tell us what is.......... ah, multi-coated.
 
What about the 2 I posted link of? Do I really need to spend $200 to get a quality CPL?
 
I've had the Slim and wouldn't bother with it again, even with an Ultra Wide Angle (UWA). B+W filters are awesome though. Just an opinion.
 
wouldn't bother because not worth the extra $ or ?
 
Chances are with any UWA that I have had the fortune to use versus the standard ring, the difference is negligible. But this is one persons opinion. I suggest to gather others.
 
It really depends on which lens and which body you're using, but yeah, for the most part, slims aren't all that necessary (Although $175 is a great price for one). You don't need to spend $200 or even $20, BUT the results will show themselves in your work.
 
D700 and the widest is the 17-35 f2.8

I went ahead and ordered the B&W

Now for NDs what numerical stop do I want to get a long exposure on a bright morning or afternoon? I'm thinking 4 or 8 stops or both. Is it better to just get one of the lee type?
 
I highly recommend the B&W slim multicoated, but I found that having the slim only means I can't use a lens cap. I use a standard now and still no vignetting on at 10mm cropped 1.6.
 
Talk about fast shipping! I got it today and yeah, now I understand :banghead: the lens cap won't mount on the thin one, damn. At least they give a slip on cap with it, not as good but better than nothing.

WHAT about ND filters? Screw on or Lee type? What amount of stop reduction (?) do I want if I can only buy 2?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom