Finally decided on and purchased my new DSLR- Sony a200

Idaho21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading lots of reviews here and abroad, I finally decided on a Sony a200. I just ordered one brand new in the box, with a Sony 18-70mm lens, and all accessories for $434 shipped.

I was wondering how you guys and gals that own an a200 like them?

What lenses do you prefer to use? I saw some good deals on Minolta Maxxum lenses, and they seem to get pretty good reviews. I am looking at getting a Minolta Maxxum 100-200mm lens.
Finally, what types of filters work well? I found a Carl Zeiss 3 piece kit that looked like it would work well. Being an avid shooter (guns and cameras), I know that Zeiss makes some quality stuff.

This is my first DSLR camera. I have only used P&S up to this point, and have never been really satisfied with the image quality I was able to achieve them. I can't wait to take my new a200 out and take some pics.

<- wouldnt buy a sony DSLR... but thats a personal choice.. i prefer to go with the names that know photography... not someone who noticed that there was a big uprising in DSLR so they made one... you could have gotten a Nikon D40 for the same price, or cheaper (my D50 cost me 250 bucks)...

I have a sony a100 and love it! Got mine used at a really good price. I already had minolta lenses so that was a plus, all I really needed was the body.

<- wouldnt buy a sony DSLR... but thats a personal choice.. i prefer to go with the names that know photography... not someone who noticed that there was a big uprising in DSLR so they made one... you could have gotten a Nikon D40 for the same price, or cheaper (my D50 cost me 250 bucks)...

Don't sony make Nikon camera sensors though?
I know there is a link between the two companies with regard to sensor manufacture or at least design

canon!

i checked out sony's new a line, not too bad, i loved the i think a350 or somethin which had the swiveling lcd screen, like my poershot s5 has

I brought a A200 about 3 months ago and am very pleased with it. It won a stack of awards and is very reasonably priced. It's the heaviest and biggest of the entry D-SLR's but not enough to notice and it's got everything that you need with the exception of live view. I have another sony with live view and to be honest i never use it, certainly not worth the extra it costs you! Some may say that there's a limited choice of lenses compared to Canon's or Nikon's but plenty of third party manufacturers make lenses with sony fittings. Enjoy.

Some may say that there's a limited choice of lenses compared to Canon's or Nikon's but plenty of third party manufacturers make lenses with sony fittings. Enjoy.

I found lenses made for the Sony A series by Sony, Minolta, Cosina, Sigma, Tamron, and Carl Zeiss (ouch. Have you priced these?:mrgreen:). There seems to be quite a large selection. Not nearly as large as Nikon or Canon, but there are plenty available.

I'm just curious why you'd buy a camera from a company not known for cameras?? With my Nikon, for example, I can say that my Nikon body is compatible with all Nikon lenses made in the last 40 years, but you can't say that your Sony is compatible with such lenses, as they haven't existed but for the last few years..

Why wouldn't you look at what the pros use and go with that, either high-end or low-end, but with decades of camera experience... Pretty much Nikon, Canon or Pentax for serious photography.. I'm sure a Sony can take good pictures, as the sensor in my Nikon is a Sony, but as for accessories and history..Sony just doesn't have it.

If lamborghini made a gas barbeque grill tomorrow, I still wouldn't buy it, even that Lamborghinis are the shiznit-they don't know grills, parts will be expensive/rare..etc.......

Last edited:
Out of all of the cameras that I was interested in, the a200 fit the bill for my needs. I like a lot of features that it has, and it has gotten really good reviews.

I'm just curious why you'd buy a camera from a company not known for cameras?? With my Nikon, for example, I can say that my Nikon body is compatible with all Nikon lenses made in the last 40 years, but you can't say that your Sony is compatible with such lenses, as they haven't existed but for the last few years..
As far as I know and have read (here on the forum) Sony bought out Minolta, so their camera division does have quite a lot of history, just as much as Nikon and Canon. I've read they are compatible with Minolta lenses that have been made the last 40 years (or however long).

I just have other thoughts of Sony, as in every single Sony item I've purchased since my 10 disk CD changer for the car in 1990 has broken.

That CD changer is a different matter. It's been through accidents, multiple drunken camping trips, and has played thousands and thousands of songs through 18 years and I still have it installed in my current car and it still never skips a beat. It was the first multi-disk CD player to come out for the car.

Yes, Sony purchased the technology from Minolta/Konica.
Minolta/Konica had two (I think) DSLR's before they got out of the camera business.
Sony decided to pick up the line and then use their own digital technology. They picked up an existing base of Maxxum/Dynax users and the technology around the hardware system (body mechanics and lenses).

Sony did manufacture CCD's for Nikon's DSLR cameras.

Minolta once had the largest line of AF lenses, and is one of the oldest AF lines. Sony has added their own, including some nice Carl Zeiss lenses.

My wife and I have Sony Alpha a100's, and we use all of her previous (used to have Maxxum 7000i / 5) Minolta AF lenses and flashes with that.

The Sony is quiet nice for the price.

Last edited:
Sorry but we are very proud owners of almost ALL Sony equipment and I have been using Sony for 12 years in my video production company .. in my personal opinion Sony is awesome .. reliable and as rugged as an ol' AK47.. We have small point and shoot cameras which have been unbeatable .. PD-170s and Z1-U's that have been through battle zones and back and keep in ticking .. GVD-1000 and GV-HD700 ..playback units .. DSR-SR80 60Gb handy cams.. we just bought a new Alpha 200 plus 70x300 for my wife on Saturday which she absolutely LOVES .. and my fav has been a 2 yr old Sony DSCR-1 10.3 mg which in my opinion is F$%#&@ ing amazing .. so Good on you .. you'll be very happy with the way Sony interchanges and works with all their other products ..

Congrats on your first DSLR. Personally, I don't prefer Sony because of their lack of modern lenses, but with your first DSLR, the brand doesn't really matter. I had a blast with mine, hope you do too!

Most reactions

Back