Finally got my hands on the MP-E!

Yeah LOL. It is a hard topic to explain. You either get it or you dont.

Another comparable lens is the Zeiss Luminar, Leica also made an equivalent. These both can be found on ebay for around $500 to well over $1000 depending on the focal length. One would need a bellows or helical to make these lenses functional. But certain models are rumored to have an image circle of over 5"!!

Jake, I wish Nikon made one. I wouldn't had to purchase the 60D for the MP-E that I picked up a couple of months ago. I wish I could see the images, but my connection is too slow. It'll have to wait until I get home tomorrow. Difference is I'm using the Canon ring flash. I have the twin speed light setup on my Nikon D7000. If you are familiar with macro work already as I was then its just a matter of getting use to working with incredibly small DOFs. I'm about to start focus stacking.

I guess if I shoot in manual anyways without metering I could always get a canon to nikon adapter right?

From what I've researched no one makes an EF to F mount adapter because the physics of light don't work in that direction, but they do work when you use an F mount lens on a EF mount body. No one makes a Canon Lens to Nikon Body adapter.

eep. wrong adapter... brb...

---

weird. you're right. it should be possible with a corrective lens, which in this case you'd simply remove. I don't know why this adapter doesn't seem to exist.

Last edited:
I read that it has to do with the physics of physical size, not the physics of light. Canon lenses are too big to fit into the Nikon hole. It is possible, but you'd have to move the lens flange forward and place a corrective lens in between. You'd be better off using a Luminar or whatever the Leica equivalent was. Still you can get very good results using enlarging lenses.

---

holes, flanges? this is all sounding a bit dirty.

I thought it was because the sensor to flange distance is longer on Nikon than Canon. This allows room on a Canon body to mount the adapter and have it machined so it mounts a Nikon lens at the right distance from the sensor so full focus range works? Theoretically, an adapter could be made for Nikon to mount a Canon lens and you'd be able to focus up to a certain range, but not all the way to infinity?

If that were the case, chinese manufacturers would be making adapters with goofy corrective lenses that perform like dirt. Been there, done that.

You might be right there, unpopular. It's been awhile since I did all that reading about it. I gave up after some months and just bought a 60D for the MP-E.

Dude, this is much much more than reasonable, I want this lense so bad!

Thanks man.

The images are really good. Can't give the lens all the credit - the lighting is very good. Can you share your shooting setup? With the very thin DOF, I'm pretty sure you were shooting on a tripod with a rail system - am I guessing right?

Amazing results!
wow!
such sharp photos can only come from a great lens!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back